Nutrition post Fasted HIIT

What is a good post workout meal after an approx 13hr fasted Hiit session?
Also would LISS be a better idea for fasted cardio in d morning?
I've been stagnating for almost 2yrs with a belly. I am 49kgs only and can easily get to 45kgs which will make me underweight. So I cannot afford to lose precious muscle or weight in general. But I still need to lose that flabby belly! I've avoided cardio completely for a yr. It didn't help. So now I wanna try fasted cardio twice a week along with my weight training 4times a week. Any suggestions?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'd try recomp instead of more scale weight loss
  • DaleLatham1
    DaleLatham1 Posts: 8 Member
    In terms of the post workout meal that totally depends on your current nutrition goals.

For example I would recommend a protein source (as per every meal of the day) and a good portion of your carbohydrates for the day at this meal if your macros allow.

Centering your carbohydrates around your workouts is generally accepted as a good idea due to being able to use them for fuel (pre workout) and replenishing your muscles (post workout).
    Of course as this workout is fasted for you, you may opt to take in some of your carbs with dinner the night before to ensure you can workout with a high intensity in the morning without feeling lethargic.

The main factor in fat loss is calorie expenditure (burning more than you consume) so LISS or HIIT will not make much difference, however HIIT is more time effective for those who are looking for the same calorie expenditure in a shorter time frame. Do whichever works best for you and what your schedule allows!

Good luck!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    HIIT is a great way to get ready for a race, but it's not a great way to burn calories for weight loss. Everybody loves to say otherwise ... they don't love to do the math, though.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Fasted training is to condition/adapt the body to improve fat burning metabolism. One needs to train at steady state with moderate intensity from endurance to low tempo pace (1 hour ideally). Double espresso before and follow up with good health meal.

Normal meal if you are doing true "HIIT" (120% to >170% of VO2 Max). e.g. Tabata's study, IE1 protocol, was with Olympic speedskaters and limited to 4 sessions a week with work intensity >170% of VO2Max on a mechanically braked cycle ergometer at 90+ rpm. There not much intensity during the warmup, rest, and cool down portion of the session and the work portion is fairly short so you'll be relying mostly on the phosphagen system and non-aerobic glycolysis (glycogen) for fuel. Total interval duration are so short that you most like will not exhaust your glycogen supply. Normal meals are more than enough to refuel the tank. Combined, the non-work portion (warmup, rest, and cool down) of the session burns more calories than the work intervals. And, if done correctly, the intensity of the non-work portions are insufficient to induce the desired adaptation.

Also, be prepared it takes a long time for the adaptation to take hold.