real sugar addiction

Options
I know I'm not the only person who has struggled with this. I just don't know how to stop. Even when I don't like something or it tastes too sweet I eat it anyway. If there's only a few handfuls in the bag I finish them off just so they're not there anymore. I've been logging my food better the past week or so and that does help me stay focused and not just eat to eat. I'm trying hard to get off the sweet treats, but I just can't say no when they're around.

Any tips?

Replies

• amethystWARRIOR1
    Options
    I keep 85% dark chocolate around to nibble. Sometimes that kills my sugar cravings. I also have noticed that something with healthy fats in it will take down a sugar craving (like coconut milk or coconut oil). Or if I can, I distract myself with a walk. It's hard though. I'm a former smoker and I found quitting that was so much easier than sugar.
  • mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, all addictions resolved gradually decreasing the amount.
    The body and the mind must accustom to the new scenario.
    Try to substitute human sugar ( sucrose, coca, soda, cake, ect. ) with God sugar (fruit).
    The difference is the fiber that do not increase the insulin (and the fat).
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Put the stuff in the bin instead of your mouth. And don't buy any more - or any 'alternatives' (because they just mean you'll have them AND the stuff you really wanted in the first place).

There's nothing wrong with sugary stuff in itself, but it's not helping you right now to have it around. It takes a couple of weeks usually, then it's easy to take or leave it.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering sugar addict. I keep things out of my home that I've had portion control issues with. Outside my home I resist temptation by telling myself "not today, maybe next month". I'm transitioning into maintenance and have better control now but gelato still needs to stay out of my home. Have not had any sour gummy worms in over a year, I'm afraid of OD'ing on them.:blushing:
  • SunandaM
    SunandaM Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible sugar addiction too. I've found that snacking on vegitables (asaparagus, broccoli, sliced green pepper, baby spinach) helps a bit. A lot of times I crave something but I know I'm not actually hungry. Instead of mindlessly eating a Twix and then another Twix and then maybe some peanut M&Ms, if I snack of veggies I crave sugar a bit less. Drinking water helps too.