Weight Meat...

Options
Joshacham
Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
Alright, I got two different questions in regards to weighing meat.

First question - I was brought a can of canned chicken breast and I have avoided it for a long time. Something about canned chicken doesn't necessarily sounds appealing, but one day I was hungry and I wanted something quick and easy to eat. I looked at the can and it weighed in at 16 ounces. I think it says there was 4 servings in there and if I ate the whole thing, it would be 400 calories. So I busted the can open, drained the water and I got the funny idea to weigh the meat. It came to be 10 ounces of meat... but the can said 16 ounces. Was I suppose to drink the water too? No thanks! So, should I log it as 10 ounces of meat or the full 16 ounces? Very confused.

Second question - Ground meat. Do you measure before or after cooking? I know it's kind of hard to get exactly 4 ounce hamburger patties AFTER cooking, but still... Do I measure before or after?

Replies

• loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I measure after...for sure! You can squeeze alot of fat and water out of ground beef and out of that can of chicken.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't eat canned meat at all. But.....I always weigh meat after cooking. There is no point in weighing juices that cook out of the meat because you're not ingesting it.