Abandoned calorie counting for something else?

Options
13»

Replies

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I do Weight Watchers. The plan is very healhty. The problem is if I want a bag of chips or a serving of ice cream or cake, I can easily fit it in my calories, but to fit it in my points I need to live off of veggies and tuna for the day. It's getting ridiculous. Other days I feel like I'm eating just to be eating to fill my required 30 points, and it comes up to my daily calories plus some of my exercise calories. But I am losing weight.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    My relative was doing GREAT on Atkins. Boasting about how easy it was and he could eat everything he wanted.

And then he got a Costco membership and started buying Costco-size buckets of nuts and other atkins-approved snacks.

It turns out that calories matter, and it is absolutely possible to eat too many of them while low-carbing or Paleoing or any of those other "don't count calories just count carbs" plans.

Nuts.... healthy, delicious and SOOO easy to overeat. I gained weight --no lie-- on the diet DH followed to lose 40 lb. precisely because, even thought it was restrictive, there was no counting. I easily overeat healthy, clean, low carb, you name it. Counting calories is the only thing that has worked for me the past 6 years (since a career change lowered my activity level).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Some people can do it because they grew up with the behavior of eating small portions. Personally I've not had anyone yet that was an overeater and gained a lot of weight be successful without counting calories to establish a sense of how big a portion should be. I had one guy who stated he ate "healthy" all the time but when we added up his calories, it exceeded his TDEE by 150 calories. Now that doesn't seem like much, but that's an extra 10lbs plus a year if it's daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    My relative was doing GREAT on Atkins. Boasting about how easy it was and he could eat everything he wanted.

And then he got a Costco membership and started buying Costco-size buckets of nuts and other atkins-approved snacks.

It turns out that calories matter, and it is absolutely possible to eat too many of them while low-carbing or Paleoing or any of those other "don't count calories just count carbs" plans.

this i agree with, i left MFP to try slimming world as it worked for me before ( at 20 stone so why not again? well i didnt lose 1 bit on it, turns out that with a under active thyroid, i couldnt eat "free" foods freely. everything had to be monitored. so i came back to mfp, 2 weeks in and 9 pounds lighter. boom.

calories so matter.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Some people can do it because they grew up with the behavior of eating small portions. Personally I've not had anyone yet that was an overeater and gained a lot of weight be successful without counting calories to establish a sense of how big a portion should be. I had one guy who stated he ate "healthy" all the time but when we added up his calories, it exceeded his TDEE by 150 calories. Now that doesn't seem like much, but that's an extra 10lbs plus a year if it's daily.
    I grew up with enormous portions and as an adult I continued eating enormous portions and adding snacks. I'm slowly learning to eat reasonable portions. It's both easy and difficult. Easy to portion out, but sometimes hard to trust that I've had enough. And then there's that "I just want".

I lost weight counting calories this time, but I've also lost weight before just by eating normal sized portions of normal food and normal numbers of meals. I didn't stick to it because I believed I had to do more (never sure what that "more" was, but it sure derailed me, repeatedly).
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Even if you grew up with normal portions (and you would have to be probably over 35 to have grown up wtih normal portions), over time, "normal" gets redefined.

In 2002, I travelled to Ireland for 2 weeks. We had a lovely time, ate loads of wonderful food. Felt like we really indulged ourselves, never went hungry.

We got back late in the afternoon and had several hours to drive from the airport to home, so we stopped on the way at Friendly's. And ordered our "usual" meals. And were STUNNED at the piles of food on our plates. "Wow, portion sizes really are different in America!" we said.

And then we ate the whole thing. Because that's what you do.

We weren't hungry on half as much food while we travelled, because the portions were normal. But when offered an obscene pile of chicken covered in sugar syrup next to an obscene pile of deep fried potatoes? THat was also "normal."

IT's hard to renormalize an actual reasonable (in terms of daily consumption) portion of food after too long spent thinking US restaurant portions are what you should actually eat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's really true. Just sticking to the serving sizes that fit in my calories or seemed right on paper, even if not on my plate, was so helpful for me, as I realized I really wasn't hungry with what seemed a little bit.

I do still add lots of low cal vegetables to have a fuller plate, but one reason I continue to use the scale some when not logging is that I now know in my head that a serving of oats or pasta or .5 cup of ice cream or whatever is plenty, so I want to reminded my eye from time to time what that amount is.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Even if you grew up with normal portions (and you would have to be probably over 35 to have grown up wtih normal portions), over time, "normal" gets redefined.

In 2002, I travelled to Ireland for 2 weeks. We had a lovely time, ate loads of wonderful food. Felt like we really indulged ourselves, never went hungry.

We got back late in the afternoon and had several hours to drive from the airport to home, so we stopped on the way at Friendly's. And ordered our "usual" meals. And were STUNNED at the piles of food on our plates. "Wow, portion sizes really are different in America!" we said.

And then we ate the whole thing. Because that's what you do.

We weren't hungry on half as much food while we travelled, because the portions were normal. But when offered an obscene pile of chicken covered in sugar syrup next to an obscene pile of deep fried potatoes? THat was also "normal."

IT's hard to renormalize an actual reasonable (in terms of daily consumption) portion of food after too long spent thinking US restaurant portions are what you should actually eat.

I lived in Singapore for 6 years. There were a few American restaurants there (Tony Roma's, Dan Ryan's) that had "WARNING: We serve American-sized portions" on their menu. It was SO MUCH FOOD compared to anywhere else. I could never finish a meal there.

When I moved back to the US, it took about a month, but I started cleaning my plate in restaurants. I have to make a conscious effort to leave half now, and I get this sense of fake hunger if there's still food on my plate. I know I've had enough, but it seems like I need the whole thing. The tricks our minds can play on us...
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I tried not counting after I hit goal...slowly, over time, weight crept back on. 5 to 8 pounds.

I tried this twice...failed both times.

Put me in the "Logging for life" category.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I gained 10lbs about 4 years ago and panicked and became a vegetarian because I was told I could eat as much as I want as a vegetarian. I gained more weight so I cut out carbs I ended up gaining 30+lbs and was miserable. I have lost 20lbs counting calories. Some people need to count calories and others can reduce their calories by using a plan but remember it's still all about a calorie deficit no matter how you get it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've done alot of alternative type diets. While I generally lost weight on them I was never able to maintain. You get sick of the "free" food so you eat less but eventually you quit the diet. On low carb I got so I would almost sell my soul for a potato. I don't normally eat alot of potatoes but no carb (or technically very low carb) gets old fast. The "best diet" is the one you can do for life.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    It was true for me. It is easy to get 150 calories from something like potato chips or well 200-300 calories form cookies, cake, cheese dip, ice cream etc.... than it is to get those same calories from grapes, apples, jicama and the like. Some exceptions such as an avocado do exist to name just one example. Butter isn't "processed" in the same sense as some of the other things I mention. Yes there is a process but when we discuss processed food we are usually talking about the types of things that have a lot of extra ingredients added as opposed to something derived from a single source. But I do see what you are saying.

I will add, I did not necessarily say "natural" as much I said low calorie and avoiding "most" processed food. I do eat my share of goat cheese and brie (both of which can be considered "processed" as they do come from milk) but those don't usually take up any huge chunk of my calories.

On MFP, I find it helpful to say Ultra Processed and refer to the Brazilian definition: http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I tried not counting after I hit goal...slowly, over time, weight crept back on. 5 to 8 pounds.

I tried this twice...failed both times.

Put me in the "Logging for life" category.

Yep been there, done that :p Thought I had a handle on maintaining so I stopped tracking calorie intake and very quickly started regaining. Lesson learned, I'll be tracking calories in some form for the rest of my life, and I'm ok with that because a lower weight keeps my glucose number stable :)
  • Airportchick
    Airportchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't count. I am vegan and couldn't lose weight. Then I went WFPB (whole food plant based). Once I cut out the oil and processed food, the weight started dropping off. And I get to eat nuts and avocados every dday.