What am I doing incorrectly?

Options
newbie3122
newbie3122 Posts: 480 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been trying to transition from free-weight training to body weight training. When I'm doing pull-ups, I can never feel the concentric movement of my upper back. I feel that my shoulders, especially rear delts are doing most of the work. This doesn't happen as much
when I do lat pulldown. Also, I cannot pull my chin above the bar. Any advice on fixing my pullup form?
9az1w0rjsqwh.jpg
dmarnasx5vn9.jpg

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The big thing I see is that your hands are placed differently. On lat pulls, your hands are wider. Of course, most people find it harder with wide hands, but if that's how you've been training, it might just be your strength is with the wide grip.

1: Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll probably get there.
    2: Widen your grip.

Additionally, what weight are you using for lat pulls? Also realize that lat pulls have knee pads, which help you brace. I have trouble with pull-ups (last time I tried wide, I got 4), but can do multiple sets of 8 with wide-grip lat pulls at about 15-20 lb heavier than my body weight. Probably because of the pads letting me get more tension.
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You are also leaning way back on the Lat Pulldowns which is bringing in a different muscle set. Maybe try training Lat Pulldowns with your back perpendicular to the floor.
  • newbie3122
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    The big thing I see is that your hands are placed differently. On lat pulls, your hands are wider. Of course, most people find it harder with wide hands, but if that's how you've been training, it might just be your strength is with the wide grip.

1: Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll probably get there.
    2: Widen your grip.

Additionally, what weight are you using for lat pulls? Also realize that lat pulls have knee pads, which help you brace. I have trouble with pull-ups (last time I tried wide, I got 4), but can do multiple sets of 8 with wide-grip lat pulls at about 15-20 lb heavier than my body weight. Probably because of the pads letting me get more tension.
    The grip in the lat pulldown picture is what I consider to be average. It used to be a lot wider until a friend told me to try a narrower grip, which might help me with the weight progression ( which it did). I'm currently at increment 10 (1, 2, 3...20). Do you think my grip should be even narrower?
  • newbie3122
    Options
    Obeg wrote: »
    You are also leaning way back on the Lat Pulldowns which is bringing in a different muscle set. Maybe try training Lat Pulldowns with your back perpendicular to the floor.

Without leaning back, I feel as if I'm only using my rear delts to pull (the same feeling when doing pull ups). Now, I'm struggling with pull-ups because I cannot lean back as much
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    For the pullups my recommendation would be bracing the core and widening the grip.
  • newbie3122
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    For the pullups my recommendation would be bracing the core and widening the grip.
    I'll give that a try.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Don't lean back as much.
    Take a little narrower grip.
    Pack your shoulders and use a hollow body position for the pullups.
    Instead of thinking about your chin to the bar, think elbows to your hips.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Keep your chin slightly up and think about bringing your elbows back so they touch each other (not gonna happen but trying to achieve it you'll feel your back more). Notice your elbows on your lat pull down and how your elbows are more parallel on your pull up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• newbie3122
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to give all your advice a try