Body Shape Issue

Options
2»

Replies

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm not really sure why, but when I was heavier I noticed more weight was being held in my upper body though I've always been an hour glass shape myself. It's like I "lost" my hourglass. Now that I'm losing weight it's coming back. I've noticed this happen over the years for me. At a certain point of weight gain I lose my shape.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    hburns89 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

First question I've ever posted but since I can't seem to find any other discussion or article pertaining to my issue I figured I'd just post the question myself and see where that goes :smile:

So I've recently started my weight loss journey and my highest weight was 280lbs (I stand at 5'4'') my starting weight was 276.4lbs and I've also been recently diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes. My current weight as of this morning was 269.5 (finally out of the 270s woohoo!) and as I'm taking pictures for my future progress comparison I'm noticing my body is not shaped the way it used to be.

I usually would gain weight evenly, I was athletically shaped and my body type is Top Hourglass (I have really large breasts but my shoulders are even with my hips). I've been classified as a Mesomorph several times over and I agree because it fits how athletic I was in my pre-teen years.

But since I hit the morbidly obese category and especially since I haven't truly exercised in years (I've also had a desk job where I sit for many hours for the past 2 years) I've noticed that I've basically stopped gaining weight in my lower body. I now gain most of my weight in my upper body which is unusual because I used to gain weight all over. I'm wondering if the reasoning behind this is medical or if it's the food I'm eating, or my lack of exercise has obviously decreased my muscle mass in my lower extremities?

Any help would be appreciated

In my experience and observation, some people are shaped very differently when obese compared to when they are at a healthy weight. I think that some of it comes from being inactive and having increased levels of visceral fat, which is the fat that packs around your internal organs. But then some women get that plus enough fat gain in their hips, etc. to keep defined waists. I just kind of throw up my hands and say "who knows?" at times :)

This was my experience.

While I still have large breasts, I was shocked to have my hips completely disappear. They've been there since puberty.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    hburns89 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

First question I've ever posted but since I can't seem to find any other discussion or article pertaining to my issue I figured I'd just post the question myself and see where that goes :smile:

So I've recently started my weight loss journey and my highest weight was 280lbs (I stand at 5'4'') my starting weight was 276.4lbs and I've also been recently diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes. My current weight as of this morning was 269.5 (finally out of the 270s woohoo!) and as I'm taking pictures for my future progress comparison I'm noticing my body is not shaped the way it used to be.

I usually would gain weight evenly, I was athletically shaped and my body type is Top Hourglass (I have really large breasts but my shoulders are even with my hips). I've been classified as a Mesomorph several times over and I agree because it fits how athletic I was in my pre-teen years.

But since I hit the morbidly obese category and especially since I haven't truly exercised in years (I've also had a desk job where I sit for many hours for the past 2 years) I've noticed that I've basically stopped gaining weight in my lower body. I now gain most of my weight in my upper body which is unusual because I used to gain weight all over. I'm wondering if the reasoning behind this is medical or if it's the food I'm eating, or my lack of exercise has obviously decreased my muscle mass in my lower extremities?

Any help would be appreciated
    Genetically you've ALWAYS gained fat the same. It may not have appeared as much so when you were younger because of activity level.
    Many times females will follow their mothers in shape. So is your mother the same shape as you?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, other than injections or liposuction, there's no way we can change where our bodies put on or take off fat. It's not anything you're eating or any exercise you're doing/not doing. The only thing you can do is lose weight and let your body pull it from wherever it wants to. It can be frustrating (since most people don't lose or gain evenly), but it mostly evens out in the end.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    coleg04 wrote: »
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I don't think there's a reason we gain weight in certain places. Some people just carry their weight in the upper part of their body and some more in the lower (butt, thighs, and legs). It's just part of your DNA.

Losing the weight, it will sort itself out and you will lose weight all over - although more in certain places first. But how/where you lose first/last is beyond your control.

I recommend you research somatotypes. This is important.
    Somatotypes are pseudo science. One can be an "ectomorph" as a kid and an "endomorph" as an adult. In other words, the "body type" didn't change just CICO.
    Developed by a psychologist and not a physiologist, it was based on BEHAVIORS and not actual empirical measurements of people's body's.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    As you lose weight you'll probably find you lose in different areas at different times and you body shape might change several times over before you get to your goal, not to mention the impact exercise may have, particularly if you start lifting.

And the reason some people lose and store weight in different areas? Somatotypes.
    No that would be genetics.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    also about somatypes https://www.britannica.com/biography/William-Sheldon somewhere along the lines someone decided it would be a good idea to lump body shape into these categories and make diets for these body types,if you ask me it was all about making money off of people. not to mention as far as somatypes go if it were true when it came to weight loss,weight gain,etc I would have traits of all 3 categories, so to me that means its all bunk.your body changes over the years,whether you have kids or not. weight aside,as you get older some things shrink,some things get bigger, its how the human body works.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The only articles I can find countering somatotypes are from unscholarly sources.

Since this is simply a way of categorizing body types based on the relation between hips and shoulder width you can't really debunk it. Why do some people store weight in their butt and some in their stomach? Because the individual with larger hips has a larger surface area in the rear for fat to be stored. I am a mesomorph so the easiest place for my body to store weight would be in my stomach/chest area. Biology!
    Lol, that would be practically all men. I have wider shoulders than my hips. I still store fat first in my stomach and chest area. And I started out as an "ectomorph". How did it change to "mesomorph"? It didn't.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    These are the technical definition of somatotypes

Endomorphic Body Type:
    soft body
    underdeveloped muscles
    round shaped
    over-developed digestive system

Associated personality traits:
    love of food
    tolerant
    evenness of emotions
    love of comfort
    sociable
    good humored
    relaxed
    need for affection

Mesomorphic Body Type
    Mesomorphic Body Type:
    hard, muscular body
    overly mature appearance
    rectangular shaped
    thick skin
    upright posture

adventurous
    desire for power and dominance
    courageous
    indifference to what others think or want
    assertive, bold
    zest for physical activity
    competitive
    love of risk and chance

Ectomorphic Body Type
    Ectomorphic Body Type:
    thin
    flat chest
    delicate build
    young appearance
    tall
    lightly muscled
    stoop-shouldered
    large brain

self-conscious
    preference for privacy
    introverted
    inhibited
    socially anxious
    artistic
    mentally intense
    emotionally restrained

This is what we call pseudoscience.

its what i call as accurate as astrology LOL
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The only articles I can find countering somatotypes are from unscholarly sources.

Since this is simply a way of categorizing body types based on the relation between hips and shoulder width you can't really debunk it. Why do some people store weight in their butt and some in their stomach? Because the individual with larger hips has a larger surface area in the rear for fat to be stored. I am a mesomorph so the easiest place for my body to store weight would be in my stomach/chest area. Biology!

Research the terms "android and gynoid fat distribution". That's not somatotypes.