Fat and 50

ShesARepeatOffender
ShesARepeatOffender Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2017 in Introduce Yourself
If there's a diet for it, I've done it. I've probably lost over 250 lbs in my lifetime but eventually gain it all back plus more. The weight is much harder to lose than it was 20 yrs ago and I have WAY more to lose. I'm currently doing low carb and have been at it for a 9 days. I have no idea if I've lost weight bc my husband hid the scale

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Why did your husband do that?
  • For my own good actually. My whole post isn't showing for some reason. I'd weigh every day and get angry and upset if it didn't show what I thought it shoud
  • snowflake954
    Well then, he's right. You need a self evaluation before you start, and perhaps therapy if you've been dieting your whole life and haven't gotten anywhere. Your husband doesn't want to suffer or watch you suffer--think about that. You can be a success, but you need to commit and be consistant. Don't put your calories too low so that you suffer and get "hangry". Take your measurements and update them every week or month--it's another way of seeing progress. Move more, start with walking--ask your husband to go with you. This is a lifestle commitment, you are going to live differently, and better yourself. Best.
  • ShesARepeatOffender
    ShesARepeatOffender Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2017
    Wow thanks. I don't think I've ever been told I needed therapy. What an awesome and fun group.
  • THE REST OF MY POST.....can't say I blame him bc I'd weigh EVERY DAY then get upset and angry if the scale didn't show what I thought it should. I LOVE FOOD!! I HATE EXERCISE! And I get easily discouraged. See the problem? I have cut way back on my diet Coke for the most part. Suffice it to say I need all the help I can get.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    There's nothing wrong with being told that you need therapy, by the way. Talking to an expert, especially an objective professional is a great idea!
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Welcome, I am 50's as well. You can do this, at our age it is important to keep moving. Bring your husband along.
  • deb19692004
    deb19692004 Posts: 34 Member
    I have also been on every yoyo diet out there, I have seen dietitians ect, I know what I need to do just have to get my mind set and do it. I hate the scale one day down the next up, but that is how our bodies work I guess I try to weight in once a week only and take your measurements they can tell the difference even when the scales don't!!! I take my measurements once a month. Great job on cutting back on your diet coke!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I've done a lot of dieting in my time too. I don't view it as a particularly shameful thing, because whenever I had the opportunity I focussed on me - eating a more nutritious less caloric diet and exercising hard - and when life got too busy I went back to comfort foods and no exercise.

Two things are different now. First, I'm 55, so keeping my health and fitness in focus is more important than when I had youth on my side. Second, I've learned to diet more slowly, so that I don't have to wait for my plate to clear so I can go at it hard. This slow diet stuff has been a game changer.

Obviously OP, my advice is to go slow. View the process not as punishment for having overeaten, but as treating your body lovingly, from this point forward. Good luck!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I've been on tons of diets over the years...I know that I am the problem. I like food...creamy, saucy, sweet...all of the bad ones!

BUT...I also like healthy food (creamy, saucy, sweet healthy foods too) and just forget when I"m off the wagon. Currently I have been happily back on track since 1/1 and have lost 5 lbs. It feels great to have it under control. I hope this is the time that it sticks, that I truly make changes for life!

Welcome to MFP!
  • snowflake954
    THE REST OF MY POST.....can't say I blame him bc I'd weigh EVERY DAY then get upset and angry if the scale didn't show what I thought it should. I LOVE FOOD!! I HATE EXERCISE! And I get easily discouraged. See the problem? I have cut way back on my diet Coke for the most part. Suffice it to say I need all the help I can get.

Exactly--that's why he's hiding the scale. Because you get easily discouraged, I suggested therapy. Alot of people do it, especially binge eaters. It's not a bad thing and could help you. You've never thought of it? You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight, however, you'll feel better if you do. Most people like walking, it's free, and almost anyone can do it. BUT, you don't have to. Reread your first post, there's not alot of information there, so it's hard to help you. But I did tell you the truth --to lose you need to be consistent, and measuring will help you see your progress. Nobody wants you to fail, but everyone has to find their own way. You need to find yours. Good luck.