Can stress make you gain weight, even if you're eating the same?

Options
hazzaram
hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm staying within my calorie goals. I started out strong in losing weight but now I've gained the last few pounds back and I haven't changed anything. I've also been using a food scale and truthfully logging everything I've eaten... So my question is, can stress cause you to gain weight? My brother just died and there's a lot going on. Could that be the reason?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that stress can raise cortisol levels which can result in water weight gain. Also sodium, lack of sleep, change in carb intake, muscle fatigue/repair, TOM/hormones can cause water weight gain. Keep in mind its not the same as fat/actual weight gain.

A temporary uptick should not be a concern. A trend of increasing weight over the course of 4-8 weeks would be.

Condolences on your brother. Take care of yourself, your family right now.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that stress can raise cortisol levels which can result in water weight gain. Also sodium, lack of sleep, change in carb intake, muscle fatigue/repair, TOM/hormones can cause water weight gain. Keep in mind its not the same as fat/actual weight gain.

A temporary uptick should not be a concern. A trend of increasing weight over the course of 4-8 weeks would be.

Condolences on your brother. Take care of yourself, your family right now.

This is good advice.

I'm going to go further and suggest that maybe you should move to maintenance for a bit until things settle down. Trying to lose weight can be a mental stressor on its own. If you remove it for a bit, it can help let off the steam of your overall stress, so to speak, which can help.

I'm very sorry to read about your brother.
  • hazzaram
    Options
    Thank you. I'm just reluctant to do that because I'm also in a biggest loser competition at work... but more than that, my brother died from his health complications with obesity (heart attack). I'm in the same boat and I really need to keep on this to get healthy. I don't want to go, too :(
  • BBryans07
    BBryans07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've experienced gaining weight from what seemed like purely stress. If you feel that going on a maintenance diet would help during this difficult time, I'd do it. HOWEVER, exercise can also reduce stress. Try meditating, coloring/creating art or finding another relaxing and stress-free activity if you don't want to exercise. I've found MANY benefits from meditating just for 15 minutes a day. Just sitting quietly, not worrying, and finding a neutral place in my head has helped me de-stress & keep losing weight. DO NOT be hard on yourself though. Life happens & your mental/emotional well-being is just as important as your physical well-being.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    hazzaram wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm just reluctant to do that because I'm also in a biggest loser competition at work... but more than that, my brother died from his health complications with obesity (heart attack). I'm in the same boat and I really need to keep on this to get healthy. I don't want to go, too :(

I understand. If a week or two off would cause more stress, don't do it. I was just throwing it out there because I went through a period of extreme stress and, looking back at it, giving myself a break with dieting would have made so much more sense. I wish that somebody had suggested it to me. You know you best though.
  • hazzaram
    Options
    Another pound gained today :( Trying hard not to be down on myself.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Stress by itself can't make you gain weight, but as others said it might be water weight or other factors. If you're stressed out, stepping it up in the gym or exercising in general could help with both issues.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss but I'm happy to hear that you are taking steps to heal yourself. I'm sure this weight is water die to stress and/or any of the other reasons we retain water. Try to be patient and get plenty of rest. All the best.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to read about your brother. My condolences to you and your family.

I lost my mother last year and I stopped trying to manage my weight at all because I just couldn't deal with another thing on top of everything else.

My advice? Do what's best for you and your family right now. Any weight gain is likely water weight. No need to be hard on yourself when you're already going through such a tough time.
  • kandisn7
    kandisn7 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss! Stress can definitely wreak havoc on the body. I pray your body stabilizes quickly!