Major weight loss....support wanted

8 years ago I suffered some depression and to say the least I let myself go, gaining over 200 pounds. Last year I finally managed to knock 50 pounds off and really have aggressive goals this year. I'm getting the hang of the nutrition side but I still need to find the motivation to get on a work out routine. I am open to ideas and help of any kind. If there's anyone out there in the same boat or have been through it, let me know. Thank you all.

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Don't know if this is any help to you but when I started exercising I just started walking. I bought a Garmin Vivofit 2 and set a goal of 4000 steps. I slowly increased that goal over time. Honestly where exercising is concerned the best thing to do is find something you like to do. Don't do what someone else does unless it is something you want to do. You need to find an activity (or activities) that you will look forward to every day and that you will continue to do even when your weight is normal. I'm sure there are men on here who would be more help but I just wanted to encourage you and say awesome job on losing the 50! That's a huge accomplishment.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Yep, find something you don't hate and then make it as easy as possible to do it. I found myself discouraged at the gym so I bought a machine for home and it's made all the difference. That makes it easy for me, I don't have to leave the house (or my husband which was anther reason I didn't want to spend an hour or more a day away), the weather can't interrupt, it's easy to do cause it's right there. Then I just don't require more than 15 minutes a day, but I have to do it everyday. I watch youtube videos, make fun play lists, and just play around with what exactly I do on the machine, sometimes less resistance and more speed, other times I do no resistance and go for intervals, it keeps it interesting. I purchased the m5 from bowflex and have been super happy. It does squeak but I can't hear it through headphones.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    I started with walking, then hiking, then at home workout videos I found on YouTube- I highly recommend Fitnessblender!!!

Then I really wanted to kick it into gear so I joined a really good gym and hired a personal trainer. We did 2 sessions a week and I did one or 2 more on my own once I got the hang of things. It really helped me learn good form, how to put a workout together, and become confident in the gym. She also helped me learn how to modify for certain injuries I had so as not to aggravate them. I definitely recommend getting a trainer once you are ready! But just make sure they know what they are doing and have credentials... not all trainers are created equal.

I eventually sort of graduated to where I workout mostly on my own and have a good handle on my fitness. I still see my trainer once every other week, but I think I may stop soon... money is a bit tight and I've learned plenty for now. I found I really love lifting weights and train for an hour 3 times a week, but I also still do walking and hiking because I enjoy it, and I do HIIT a couple times a week for my cardio.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I started with walking. Then my dad gave me his old treadmill. Then the treadmill tried to kill me. (The speed control didn't seem to go past 3.0 mph no matter how high I put it up... until it accelerated to 5.3 AS I was stepping onto the belt. Took a nice patch off my calf...). Then I realized that I was below the max weight for my Nordic ski machine, so on days when I can't get out to walk, I use that now.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Another walker here! I started there, but also I'm still there, walking most days 45-50 minutes. I've managed to make it routine. I think about transitioning to jogging- but I love walking, and I'm still losing. I space out, enjoy the neighborhoods, plan my day or life, lol. Walk it off!!