Learning about neural adaptations and looking for advice

Options
-57 years old, male
-178-180 lbs consistently
-about a year of full body workouts under my belt, both body weight and resistance.

Just looking for advice as stated folks. I'm not overly concerned about aesthetics, and don't really want to gain any mass. I'd just like to stay reasonably lean and gain strength if possible. I certainly won't complain about added muscle definition, or even a little size, but I'm not pursuing those as a primary goal.

If it's pertinent, most of my resistance work has been with dumbbells and on a bowflex. I chose that (used and cheap lol) as it seemed much less jarring on various joints I've had issues with over the years, due to injuries and arthritis I was also given a TRX recently which I really like.

Anyway, various sites like BB.com recommend a split workout to accomplish what I want, but I've seen quite a few posts here that seem to deride that method? Question mark there because I might simply be misreading the tone of the responses...

Anyway, suggestions?

Thanks much in advance folks :)

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you've mostly been making up your own workouts it could pay off for you to follow a program designed by a professional. They typically have the lifts, sets, and reps arranged in a way to provide the most bang for your buck. There are various set ups to programs and each have a slightly different set up to help accomplish a specific goal.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If you've mostly been making up your own workouts it could pay off for you to follow a program designed by a professional. They typically have the lifts, sets, and reps arranged in a way to provide the most bang for your buck. There are various set ups to programs and each have a slightly different set up to help accomplish a specific goal.

Thank you - I've bookmarked a few, just haven't chosen any yet. For what it's worth what I've worked with so far is largely based off of what I've gotten from stronglifts, with accessories added over time as I'm finding out I can work my back and legs more than I initially thought I'd be able to. I was probably too afraid I'd re-injure something.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    BB.com generally caters to the goals of a different audience than what you seem to want. For what you stated you want, virtually any well-designed program will be good - Upper/Lower, Push/Pull/Legs, Full Body, even the classic Bro-Split. It will really come down to how intense your training is and how well you recover. And, of course, how well you like whatever program you do.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    BB.com generally caters to the goals of a different audience than what you seem to want. For what you stated you want, virtually any well-designed program will be good - Upper/Lower, Push/Pull/Legs, Full Body, even the classic Bro-Split. It will really come down to how intense your training is and how well you recover. And, of course, how well you like whatever program you do.

That's what I'm looking for. Thank you :)

I seem to have trouble phrasing simple questions sometimes :# but that nailed it. I just didn't know if there were any major issues with splits I should be aware of. Cheers :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    At most, you could do an upper/lower split. I would not recommend a "bro-split" body building type routine at all. My recommendation would be to continue a full body plan. Making tweaks or finding a more suitable one if the one you are currently following has gotten stale for you.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    At most, you could do an upper/lower split. I would not recommend a "bro-split" body building type routine at all. My recommendation would be to continue a full body plan. Making tweaks or finding a more suitable one if the one you are currently following has gotten stale for you.

Yep, it will be a suitable plan with tweaks depending on needs. I should be able to follow pretty closely as long as I don't get unrealistic on the weight used. But I'll still hit each muscle group at twice a week.

Thanks rybo
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What is a "bro-split" routine?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Chest with shoulders and triceps, back and biceps, legs. Often it's followed by a rest day then an upper day and a lower day. For my goals, age, how my body responds, training experience, and personal preference it works well for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Basically what I do.

Monday-Shoulders and hamstrings
    Tuesday-Chest
    Wednesday- Back
    Thursday- Arms
    Friday- Quads
    Saturday- Core work

No more than 30-45 minutes max per workout 3-4 exercises for 4 sets. I do this split just to maintain and focus on each body part.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png