Thoughts on Carb counting v/s calorie counting? ?

Options
I have sugar issues and carbs do turn into sugar, my daughter has lost (at a health rate) 50 pounds just on lowering carbs like breads and desserts. How does everyone feel about this. BTW, I am newly coming back to My Fitness pal, I will make it work this time.

Replies

• sgallagherxo
    sgallagherxo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs down purely because I've gotten so used to absorbing them into fat and not used for muscles. However when I start powerlifting I'll increase it! Your calories will stay low with low carbs generally too
  • susan12c2001
    susan12c2001 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you JaydedMiss! That makes a lot of sense! Congratulations on the weight loss, that is real good!
  • susan12c2001
    Options
    Chadxx, you are correct. I have thought the same thing but if it works then good for her. She is 29 yrs old, thyroid issues and need to lose the weight for sure.
  • susan12c2001
    Options
    Should I count anything in particular?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    Just to be clear, she didn't lose weight from changing her macros. She lost weight because she ate fewer calories whether she realized it or not.

Losing weight is all about energy balance. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, your body will use it's stored fat to make up the difference. It really is that simple.

This. Some find that following a lower carb method works better for them for satiety and calorie adherence. But losing weight sill comes down to CICO.

If low carb is something that appeals to you then sure, give it a try :) But, to lose weight you must be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals.
  • susan12c2001
    Options
    cwolfman13, exactly carbs are in fruit and fruit is my "go to" instead of desserts.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You said you have sugar issues, are you diabetic?

If there is a medical reason to eat lower or moderate carb you should check out some reputable sites, such as the American Diabetes Association. You can get excellent advice and recipes there.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you're going to count stuff, I'd count calories before I would count carbs. If you're looking for a way to reduce weight without counting stuff then reducing carbs can work because carbs are less filling than other stuff and people tend to keep eating them to excess. If you are interested in athletic performance then it can make sense to add counting carbs to counting calories.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you like to eat. I have lost weight on very low carb (Atkins) and here on MFP counting calories. I have a harder time doing low carb over the long term because I got very very tired of eating so many eggs and so much meat. I really missed fruit and bread. OTOH, if you have sugar issues or if eating carbs makes you binge, then you might do well on a low carb diet. Reducing carbs usually causes you to eat fewer calories because you are no longer eating much processed food or sweet drinks which tend to be high in calories. The question is how long can you sustain that way of eating?

The only thing that really matters is that you are eating fewer calories than you are burning through exercise. MFP focuses on calories and it does work. You can eat anything you want as long as it fits within your calorie budget. It is good at teaching you how to eat over the long term, so you don't yoyo with your weight.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i am a meat eater myself and i find that lower carb works better for me. of course some cheat days are ok every once in a while because we are all human. but getting rid of carbs tends to get rid of processed foods. protein and fats as opposed to carbs helps you feel full longer since it takes more for your body to break down and digest those compared to carbs. at the end of the day, do what works for you.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't have any dietary restrictions and I eat all kinds of carbs. When I first started counting my calories, I kept most of my heavier carbs (breads, rice, potatoes) in my last meal because they tend to make me feel sleep and I kind of feared I would binge or overeat if I ate them midday.

As I've gotten a better grasp on my eating, I do have some carb-ier foods earlier in the day. I still tend to have them later in the day, but that just works for me and makes me feel "safe" in my diet.
  • Tgmcmonigle
    Tgmcmonigle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on low carb BUT because it's not the way I like to eat it wasn't sustainable for me and I gained it all back :(.

This is what happens to most people when they rely on a "magic bullet" to fix their weight issues. Once they quit following the regimen, the weight comes back. A balanced diet is the healthiest and most sustainable program to follow.
    Counting calories allows me to eat the foods I like and I'm down 40lbs so far.

Pretty much everyone agrees that you need to eat the same way you ate when losing in order to maintain your weight loss.

This is it in a nutshell. If you eat the foods you like while moderating calories, you avoid the issues of cravings and feeling cheated. As others in this thread have pointed out, it always boils down to calories in vs calories out.

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Should I count anything in particular?

I think a good place to start is by counting calories and only focusing on that. Start making mental notes about what meals/snacks keep you full and satisfied, look at the macro ratios of those meals/snacks. Once you have done that, you can start adjusting your macros to trend more towards the ratios that keep you full and satisfied (while still working within your calorie goal).

Everyone is a little different. For some, they are most full/satisfied with higher carbs, others it is fats and some it is protein. I have found I am happiest with a 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. But, it took a while for me to figure that out and get all the previously learned "woo" out of my brain.

Do what works for you and brings you success.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, i just love carbs too much, so i watch my macros, 30% protein, 35% fat, and 35% carbs
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think any time your limiting food choices you are limiting calories indirectly .. for example I followed the.t factor diet years ago .. it limited and tracked fat intake .. for a man it was 60 grams of fat I think .. and by doing that I also limited my calories. Even tho I didn't know it at the time ..

If you have health reasons for the food you eat or its your way of eating by all means go for it ..

Good luck