Anyone hear from Colorado and familiar with RMNP/snowshoeing trails?

Options
DH and I are planning a trip to Estes Park in early March. We have been to this area before, but always in July. So, we are familiar with the area, but not familiar with the weather this time of year. We are really hoping to do some snowshoeing while we are there. Our current goal is to hike Dream, Emerald and Nymph lakes, have a lunch break and then hike to Bierstadt Lake from the Bear Lake trailhead. Then another day, we hope to do The Pool and Fern Falls, have lunch and then do some stuff around Moraine Park (not the entire loop, but part of it.)

My question is will we actually need to rent showshoes to do this if we have winter hiking boots? Is there enough snowpack to make the snowshoes unnecessary? We would probably rent from Estes Park Mountain Shop. Also, can we reasonably expect snow during early March at the elevations listed above? Are the plans listed above reasonable? I know that Trail Ridge Road and Old Fall River Road are closed this time of year, but are there any other major closures during winter that we should plan for? Are most trails accessible this time of year?

Sorry, we are from the flat midwest and not 100% sure about what to expect this time of year.

Thanks!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I'd love to see pics.

You might have better luck on a regional hiking forum.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Colorado weather = unpredictable. Our motto is: Don't like the weather? Wait an hour. It'll change.

Honestly, there's no predicting how much snow will be on the ground by then. I'd say your best bet is to contact the Estes Park Mtn. shop and wherever else you may be staying, but closer to the time of your trip. They'd be better at attempting a prediction.

I agree with wanting to see pics though!
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Damn - I have a feeling this might be a packing nightmare. LOL.

I promise to add some pics!