Switching from NEAT method to TDEE - looking for tips

Options
I've long done the NEAT method and eaten back all exercise calories. Dropped as much as 90lbs doing so and have stayed around maintenance for over 2.5yrs. I currently at the top end of maintenance range from the holidays and looking to shave off about 5lbs gearing up for running season.

Thinking of going to TDEE instead of NEAT method. Figure this might be a better approach long term rather than chasing calories depending how much exercise I've done in a day.

Any tips around pros/cons of going TDEE for those who use that method to maintain or slightly trim their maintenance range? Anything to watch out for?

I have the ability to log and measure meticulously and have a good idea of my TDEE so that should help at least.

Thank you

Replies

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this helps you, but I went the opposite direction as you. I started with TDEE and decided to switch to NEAT. I've actually done better with NEAT I think, because it does give me more motivation to exercise. Also, on days when I work out pretty hard, I feel better eating back a portion of those calories, rather than always sticking to the same calorie amount. I'm sure this is dependent on the person and exercise patterns though, so your experience may be different.

I know this didn't really answer your specific question, just thought I would give you my experience.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think if you are pretty consistent with your activity (both intentional and non-intentional) TDEE is a good way to go. If you skip a session of exercise are you going to remember to reduce your cal intake to compensate for that? would probably think I'll make up that session later and never get round to it. Doing that once a week assuming a session burns 300 cals would mean a pd gain every 11weeks or so.

But if you continue to log and keep an eye on your weekly cal intake it might work better. I actually want to end up eating TDEE rather than neat but I have a way to go in establishing exercise as a habit, even though I enjoy it I find one missed session can easily lead to several missed sessions but I am working on that.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's easy. Just do it.

I know, I'm so helpful.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got everything under control.

If I were to make one suggestion that might be useful, pay close attention to hunger levels and training performance since you are now eating proportionately less on training days compared to your previous method if we assume the same total weekly calories.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    One downside if your running or general exercise volume varies with the seasons is that your TDEE would be different at different times of year. I'm a cyclist and rejected TDEE method partly for that reason.

The other reason is that I don't actually like eating the same level every day - to me that feels like a restriction even at maintenance calories. When I'm trimming a few pounds to correct a drift or prepare for an event I tend to do it in chunks rather than daily restriction, 1000 one day, no deficit another for example.

Would say it's worth experimenting as you can always revert.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    One downside if your running or general exercise volume varies with the seasons is that your TDEE would be different at different times of year. I'm a cyclist and rejected TDEE method partly for that reason.

Would say it's worth experimenting as you can always revert.

Interesting. Although I'm quite consistent with daily exercise I am a runner and this time of year I am limited to a lot less of it. Usually burn 700-1000cals in summer but right now I'm 300-600 of activity per day.
    For me, if I am doing lots of cardio, I tend to use NEAT because it gives me more liberty with my calories on bigger days, and that pushes me to do more cardio. But, when I get into my "lifting only/no cardio" phases, I tend to prefer TDEE. The reason is that lifting doesn't produce the same calorie burns and I like to then level out my calories across the week. I know, weird.

Good to know. Perhaps I'll give it a shot based off my winter TDEE estimate for a week or two and see how my mind/body reacts.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your way is already working, you know already how many calories a day you can eat and maintain your weight. And from those numbers you will know your average TDEE.

TDEE isn't a set number, it will change on days you are more active than others e.g.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the big thing for me with TDEE is either using premium for MFP to separate burned calories from FITBIT; or ignore the exercise calorie adjustments you get (for me the premium is worth it because I get my nutrition info from a RD that takes into account exercise)
  • powered85
    Options
    Sounds like your way is already working, you know already how many calories a day you can eat and maintain your weight. And from those numbers you will know your average TDEE.

TDEE isn't a set number, it will change on days you are more active than others e.g.

Yes I feel I have a handle on it but struggling as of late with adjusting to less activity and food intake. Was wondering if TDEE might be better long term to balance out without the chasing calories NEAT can cause.
    the big thing for me with TDEE is either using premium for MFP to separate burned calories from FITBIT; or ignore the exercise calorie adjustments you get (for me the premium is worth it because I get my nutrition info from a RD that takes into account exercise)

That's the thing with me. I have premium and love it. Also have a high end fitness tracker that I find is quite accurate for estimating running walking and cardio. So NEAT works well for me but wondering if TDEE is more manageable long term.

Thanks all
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I really prefer using my average TDEE. I dislike the concept of "earning" your calories through exercise. It's a very negative mindset for me. I find it much more positive mentally to set fitness goals, workout to achieve them, and average out my calorie needs. I also find it tedious to try to hit a moving target everyday. Varying daily calorie goals just feels like micromanaging to me.
  • powered85
    Options
    I really prefer using my average TDEE. I dislike the concept of "earning" your calories through exercise. It's a very negative mindset for me. I find it much more positive mentally to set fitness goals, workout to achieve them, and average out my calorie needs. I also find it tedious to try to hit a moving target everyday. Varying daily calorie goals just feels like micromanaging to me.

The switch to TDEE would be tough in some ways for me but gonna give it a go.

Example some of my runs are 600-1000 calories. Clearly I can't eat the same as a non active day on those days so figuring that out could be an adjustment. But I like the idea of TDEE mindset vs NEAT
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »
    I've long done the NEAT method and eaten back all exercise calories. Dropped as much as 90lbs doing so and have stayed around maintenance for over 2.5yrs. I currently at the top end of maintenance range from the holidays and looking to shave off about 5lbs gearing up for running season.

Thinking of going to TDEE instead of NEAT method. Figure this might be a better approach long term rather than chasing calories depending how much exercise I've done in a day.

Any tips around pros/cons of going TDEE for those who use that method to maintain or slightly trim their maintenance range? Anything to watch out for?

I have the ability to log and measure meticulously and have a good idea of my TDEE so that should help at least.

Thank you

The only difference between the two methods is where you account for exercise...other than that, they are 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

Keep in mind that for it to work, your exercise needs to be relatively consistent...if you say you're going to do X, Y, and Z and that's your activity level then you need to do X, Y, and Z pretty consistently.

Also keep in mind that it basically has you eating at the same level every day...so there will be days you are over and days you are under but it all nets out in the end. Also keep in mind that it can be problematic if you have certain days where exercise is far greater than other days...like long run days, etc
  • powered85
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    powered85 wrote: »

Thank you

The only difference between the two methods is where you account for exercise...other than that, they are 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

Keep in mind that for it to work, your exercise needs to be relatively consistent...if you say you're going to do X, Y, and Z and that's your activity level then you need to do X, Y, and Z pretty consistently.

Also keep in mind that it basically has you eating at the same level every day...so there will be days you are over and days you are under but it all nets out in the end. Also keep in mind that it can be problematic if you have certain days where exercise is far greater than other days...like long run days, etc

Hmm. My activity isn't consistent. Some days I'll walk 5 to 7km. Others I'll run 10k in the 41-43 minutes. Something to think about as the calorie burns will be quite varying.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    All I do is TDEE. I like it because it keeps me accountable for getting my workouts in. I would watch for any extra activity that is not part of the normal routine. Eat some of the extra calories burned back. Also do not let the change frustrate you. Give it time.

No matter what, it always comes down to logging and tracking etc.....
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've used TDEE throughout my 148 lb loss because the constantly fluctuating calories on MFP made me nuts. Technically it might be "modified" TDEE because I'll vary calories somewhat based on exercise level. I'm continuing this plan now that I'm in maintenance. Whether it's more sustainable is purely a personal choice.