Soft food ideas that do not require chewing

elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
Lately I have been having issues with my jaw accidentally locking in an awkward position where it makes it nearly impossible to chew. It locks so that my molars in the back of my mouth have a gap between upper and lower teeth no longer touch.

My jaw eventually pops back into place, but sometimes it takes a long time. Looking for food that are soft and require no chewing -must be oat, barley, wheat and gluten free.

Before anyone asks-I have called a dentist, but their earliest appointment in two weeks from now.

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes. Cooked & mashed green beans or carrots. Yogurt. Protein shakes.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Ouch! Feel better!!
    Maybe some homemade tomato soup or other soups with soft veggies. Otherwise zucchini noodles with sauce may work!!

I always had a giant milk shake after all my oral surgeries, but those add up in calories!
  • rayoplata56
    rayoplata56 Posts: 1 Member
    you can cook anything after is cook just pass all to the blender and then you can eat it
  • elphie754
    Mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes. Cooked & mashed green beans or carrots. Yogurt. Protein shakes.

Hmm I guess I could put carrots and potato in my blender. That actually sounds amazing right now.
    Ouch! Feel better!!
    Maybe some homemade tomato soup or other soups with soft veggies. Otherwise zucchini noodles with sauce may work!!

I always had a giant milk shake after all my oral surgeries, but those add up in calories!

It's not painful, just annoying.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Kind of a weird one but Nilla Wafers?

When I was a kid I used to put them in the roof of my mouth and suck on them until they became mush. I know the next few weeks might feel like torture so maybe a few Nilla Wafers might be good for morale. :smile:
  • elphie754

When I was a kid I used to put them in the roof of my mouth and suck on them until they became mush. I know the next few weeks might feel like torture so maybe a few Nilla Wafers might be good for morale. :smile:

No can do-they contain wheat
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Green smoothies
    Blended soups (Split Pea, Butternut Squash, Potato Leek, etc)
    Chicken Congee
    Mashed Cauliflower or Celeriac
    Apple sauce
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Nut butters
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »

Ah, apologies.

These are a good alternative. I do the same trick with the sucking... and the cookies are much smaller than Nilla Wafers.

screen-shot-2014-04-26-at-2-58-12-pm.jpg

• elphie754

Ah, apologies.

These are a good alternative. I do the same trick with the sucking... and the cookies are much smaller than Nilla Wafers.

screen-shot-2014-04-26-at-2-58-12-pm.jpg

No problem. Those look good, will see if anywhere around here sells them.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Consider a Vitamix to make shakes
  • elphie754
    Theo166 wrote: »

Can't, they are way outside our budget. I donhave the magic bullet though that might do the same.
  • Theo166

Can't, they are way outside our budget. I do have the magic bullet though that might do the same.
    Yes, a magic bullet can do a good job. Some veggie and fruit, then throw in a scoop of protein or even some peanut butter and you have a balanced meal.

• elphie754

Can't, they are way outside our budget. I do have the magic bullet though that might do the same.
    Yes, a magic bullet can do a good job. Some veggie and fruit, then throw in a scoop of protein or even some peanut butter and you have a balanced meal.

Figured it would. I love our magic bullet. Funny story about why we bought it to begin with. 3 years ago our one cat got deathly ill and refused to eat, so we had to syringe feed him. We bought the magic bullet pretty much for him so we could prepare food for him. Now we use it for everything lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Peanut butter... apparently it was created for people with no teeth!
  • Theo166
    Figured it would. I love our magic bullet. Funny story about why we bought it to begin with. 3 years ago our one cat got deathly ill and refused to eat, so we had to syringe feed him. We bought the magic bullet pretty much for him so we could prepare food for him. Now we use it for everything lol.
    What we won't do for our four footed friends! I had a similar situation but had no luck with the syringe, ended up feeding my boy with a tube in his stomach.
  • elphie754
    What we won't do for our four footed friends! I had a similar situation but had no luck with the syringe, ended up feeding my boy with a tube in his stomach.

That was the other option, but he was so sick, I didn't want to put him through that. We did palliative care for him. The only invasive thing we did was give him fluid boluses everyday. He was diagnosed with liver failure and less than 2 weeks later, passed away.
  • elphie754
    Peanut butter... apparently it was created for people with no teeth!

Ohhhhh dangerous suggestion. I could easily eat antire jar by myself lol
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Soup with crackers soaked into it.

Well... crackers if you have any options that suit your allergies.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    When i had my wisdom tooth removed i survived on applesauce, jello, mashed potatoes, muscle milk, boxed mac and cheese, and oatmeal.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    You poor thing... You are going through so much stuff.