Still feeling sluggish

Options
Hi all, I started on my weight loss journey at the beginning of the new year. I've been using MyFitnessPal to stick to eating around 1200kcal a day, as well as slowly including exercise into my regime. So far I've lost 10lbs however I'm still feeling so sluggish, and although I've lost all of this weight I still don't feel any better...

Does anyone know what it could be that makes me feel like this?

Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eating more than 1200 cals. Reduce your deficit.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Whilst some of your weight loss will be water weight, 10lbs in three weeks is still quite a bit, which suggests your deficit may be too big.

Can you please let us know your stats - height, age, activity level (both general day to day and deliberate exercise) - so we can establish if you are in fact undereating, or if perhaps there's something else going on.

When you say "still don't feel any better", were your energy levels low prior to starting your weight loss? Have you been to the doctor to rule out any medical conditions?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you are likely eating too little. Stats and exercise would be useful information. Also, how is your sleep?
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    For me, what I eat is important to how I feel. I try to get most of my calories from lean proteins, fruits and veggies. If my calories are coming from processed carbs and sugar I don't feel my best!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can we also see your diary? Not only is it possible that your are eating too few calories, it's also possible you need to modify your foods to increase calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories a day I'd be sluggish too. Food is fuel. When you deprive your body of adequate nutrients you're going to be running slow. 1200 is rarely enough calories unless you are very small or elderly.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    lucyyybbb wrote: »
    Hi all, I started on my weight loss journey at the beginning of the new year. I've been using MyFitnessPal to stick to eating around 1200kcal a day, as well as slowly including exercise into my regime. So far I've lost 10lbs however I'm still feeling so sluggish, and although I've lost all of this weight I still don't feel any better...

Does anyone know what it could be that makes me feel like this?

Thanks

You've lost 10 pounds in 20 days? While the first bit of weight is usually more and comes off quickly, that sounds like it's too much too quickly.

You could be sluggish because you are not eating enough to sustain you. You are exercising, so you will need to eat more to compensate for that energy expenditure. MFP is set up to have you eat a portion of your exercise calories back.

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I agree with those above who've said 1200 may be too low, but I'll add this from personal experience.

A body at rest tends to stay at rest. Those first steps are the most difficult. Don't try to run a marathon, but get up and about. Wash smaller loads of laundry so you're up doing them more often. Hand wash some of the dishes instead of using the dishwasher. Walk to the mail box instead of sending the kid. (Can you tell these are things I totally did? lol) Every little bit will help and if you keep it to short tasks at first, you're more likely to be able to convince yourself to do them.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    For me, what I eat is important to how I feel. I try to get most of my calories from lean proteins, fruits and veggies. If my calories are coming from processed carbs and sugar I don't feel my best!

Even though food type has nothing to do with the actual mechanics of weight loss, I have also found that I need more of certain types of foods to keep my energy level at it's best. For example, sugar and carbs don't bother me in the least, but if I miss having adequate protein, I begin to feel a bit off.

It's when I don't eat enough that I begin to feel horrible (disclaimer: not eating enough has not happened in a long time as I've been in maintenance for a few years).