Foods to avoid?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a better question to ask is:

"What foods did you start eating?"

In that case - a lot more veggies and natural produce.

I actually started eating more variety. I'd sort of gotten into the habit of the same ol' things all the time, but when I started with MFP and suddenly had to find foods that were lower in calories, I spent a bit of time exploring grocery stores and markets to find out what they had, and I discovered all sorts of delicious options I hadn't thought of or hadn't been aware of. :)

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    disvussionfggghhhjjjj hgdggghhhhjkkjb

keyboard-diarrhoea?
    Sorry, posted that by mistake

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I found it was helpful to understand where my extra calories were coming from and then to deal with that. What I learned in thinking through a typical week was that I was getting lots of wasted (IMO) calories eating things I didn't much care about -- food that happened to be in the office breakroom that I ate for stress reasons or just because it was there, overly large sides of rice or pasta (rice I don't care about, pasta is something I mostly like for the sauce so don't need a large amount, but just don't measure well), bread just because a sandwich is easy or it's there (I don't even like most bread that much, although I have some that I enjoy), stuff like that.

So what worked for me was to realize that my calories were limited and to make them count by choosing only foods that fit into my nutrition goals and were delicious (sometimes delicious was more the issue if my nutrition goals were otherwise met). I also found that for me I don't tend to eat mindlessly so easily if I focus on meals and occasionally a planned extra after dinner and otherwise don't snack or graze.

Cutting out a few specific foods wouldn't have done a thing for me, as my diet was pretty varied so it probably wouldn't have done much for calories. Eating the way I do now there are some things I don't eat that often, of course, but I see no benefit to cutting them out.

YMMV, of course, but that's my experience!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything entirely but I eat less carbs than I used to. I'm far from low carb, I eat 50% of my calories in carbs, but that number was much higher before MFP.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything.

I avoid foods that I don't like.

I drink diet soda.

Other than, I'm game for anything.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I cut out added sugar and grains but it wasn't for weight loss. Eating this way just makes me feel better and, as an added bonus, I can eat a lot more without gaining a pound.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I haven't eliminated foods, but I have tried to eliminate eating patterns that were leading to over-consumption:

1) Mindless eating: Unfettered evening snacks in front of the TV. I usually reserve about 100 cals for a pre-logged evening snack. If I'm hungry, I put just that item on a plate. I used to bring a whole block of cheese and box of crackers with me.

2) I limit access to foods I have trouble moderating. In some cases, pre-portioning in baggies or buying single-serving packages is sufficient (dried fruit, hummus). In others, I just can't have it in the house (cheese crackers, chocolate chips). If I have a treat planned, I'll buy just enough to give everyone a serving on the day it will be consumed.

3) I'm insulin resistant and carbohydrates really do a number on my appetite. So I keep my carbs to under 150g, and use whole grains most of the time.

I'm trying to keep my weight-loss methods in line with how I'll be maintaining. So I'd need a really good reason to eliminate or restrict specific foods, such as an allergy or sensitivity.
  • sc1979LC
    sc1979LC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sweets, chocolate, crisps, cakes, fizzy drinks are the main things I've cut. I could just gorge on those kinds of things all day long. Even after nearly two weeks i feel less bloated and my cravings are not as bad as expected. I'm just trying to up my protien and make sure i don't eat low fat anything as its normally packed with sugar.
  • legsnbacon
    legsnbacon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    all of them.
  • afrsilver
    afrsilver Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There are only two things I really try not to eat a lot of and that's gluten, because I personally feel like it makes me bloated, I still eat it but just not as much, and foods with a lot of high fructose corn syrup because that's a big contributor to a fatty liver, and HFCS is in everything so it's not like I don't eat it I just eat less of it.

But I usually just stay away from foods I don't know the calorie count of, so I don't eat out as much unless I can find the calorie count online
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Only the things i'm allergic or intolerant to.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I avoid anything that is too easy to overeat: biscuits, loose chocolate like m&ms, ice cream in tubs, large bags of crisps etc.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I really love bread but ive cut down to 2slices of wholemeal a day,,
    cut down sugar in my tea and i also drink peppermint tea now,,
    I cut right back on crisps chocolate cake cus i cant just eat 1bar or packet and wen i do eat more i just feel bad for it after!!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut out anything that I love, just minded the portions. I cut out high-calorie foods that were just "eh" and I could easily live without.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Wondering what foods people have avoided along their journey and seen a weight loss?

For me it was about learning what an appropriate serving looked like...
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I need to do that aswell.. portion sizes!!
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think that's very personal, there's no forbidden foods as long as you keep those calories under control, but me for example, I do not like to drink soda cos it's too sweet and it usually has more calories that I could use to eat other stuff, I do not like diet food at all, tastes horrible to me, but I will drink 1 Dr. Pepper every 6 months for example.

It's really up to you, I mostly don't eat refined grains for a matter of satiety, whole grain makes me feel fuller and happier, for the rest.. too salty food cos I've got some issues before with my kidneys.

So, regarding weight loss, nothing in special.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Foods I don't like and/or aren't worth the calories (because they don't taste good enough).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Wondering what foods people have avoided along their journey and seen a weight loss?

I started out just eating what I was normally eating and just watching my portions and logging stuff...that made it easy for me to get started and eliminated a lot of nonsense and "industry noise". From there I just made incremental changes...eating out less, cutting back on soda, etc and I focused more on what I needed to add to my diet...more veg and fruit...more complex carbohydrates...more lean proteins and healthy fats. When I focused on what I needed to add, other things just fell by the wayside.

There's nothing that I avoid entirely...but there are a lot of things that I eat less of than I used to.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I eliminated things I only ate out of habit or because it was "supposed" to go together.

Examples:

I no longer add cheese to my salads. It's extra calories that I don't really even taste and don't miss at all. I still eat cheese, but keep it to things I actually enjoy, like grilled cheese sandwiches.

I stopped making garlic bread just because I was having spaghetti. If I really want it, then I do have it, but it's rarely.

I've tried various vegetables with and without butter. Some, I still add butter to, because I don't care for them without. Others, I've found I enjoy just as much with just a bit of seasoning instead.