Weird non-linear pattern to weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If I weighed weekly I'd hardly ever see my lows! So I am also a daily weigher and a bouncer arounder. It is what it is, weight is never static and as long as I'm making progress, meh.
  • alone_aqua
    alone_aqua Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing weird about weightloss is if it IS linear. Weight is based on so many factors, very few people are honest and articulate how many times they gain and plateau during their journey. HOWEVER you should be able to see something over the course of six months - is it a gain or loss? That will give you your answer. Six months is enough time to reasonably discern whether or not you're doing too much (cutting too much, lifting too much), or not doing enough (nutrition/exercise).
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So totally normal. I work in kg's, but you can get my point. This is my current chart. It goes in a wavey pattern.
    2lwah3l.png

This is from 2015 where I lost a fair bit of weight, it also was always wavey with ups and downs. This was a screenshot I found, I can't access this information anymore which sucks.
    t8xgye.jpg

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I've been losing like that for the past 18 months! I hate using apps on my phone, I just started using Weightgrapher, which is the site pictured in the last post, just above mine. I really like it.
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I have noticed my weight loss is in an odd pattern.

I will hit a low, then bounce up 2-3 lbs the very next day. Stay up for a week or two then go down to my low for awhile. A week or so later I'll have another small "whoosh" and lose another 2 lbs, hit a new low and the cycle repeats itself. It's hard to accurately gauge how much weight I'm losing over time because I'm so up and down. Over the period of 6 months? Sure, I'm down weight. Over a month? Maybe 5lbs? It's hard to tell.

It's very frustrating to see a new exciting number on the scale and have it disappear for up to two weeks at a time. It makes me just want to give up because I KNOW I'm doing everything right. I KNOW, logically, that I can't have gained 2 lbs overnight. I know I can't have overeaten 10,000 calories to have added back two pounds of fat. It just doesn't seem to make sense to retain water like this. I don't think I eat that much sodium, and I am not a carbaholic.

Does anyone else lose like in spurts like this?

This is why it's often suggested to weigh yourself weekly rather than daily. Focus on the big picture rather than daily fluctuations.

Lol...that's exactly why I recommend daily. Imagine if you waited a whole week after working and sweating and then hit the scale only on your up days? Ugh...I'd throw in the towel. It's better to know that there are fluctuations and that you are headed in the right direction. Get a trending app ;)

EXACTLY! It's super depressing to miss a lower reading and see a high one on your one day weigh in!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't take my scale too literally - it just reads a weight but can't tell you the whole story. I just take the lowest reading and I don't bother logging upswings. If I get an upswing lasting more than a week I'll deal with that then.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    beckty wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I have noticed my weight loss is in an odd pattern.

I will hit a low, then bounce up 2-3 lbs the very next day. Stay up for a week or two then go down to my low for awhile. A week or so later I'll have another small "whoosh" and lose another 2 lbs, hit a new low and the cycle repeats itself. It's hard to accurately gauge how much weight I'm losing over time because I'm so up and down. Over the period of 6 months? Sure, I'm down weight. Over a month? Maybe 5lbs? It's hard to tell.

It's very frustrating to see a new exciting number on the scale and have it disappear for up to two weeks at a time. It makes me just want to give up because I KNOW I'm doing everything right. I KNOW, logically, that I can't have gained 2 lbs overnight. I know I can't have overeaten 10,000 calories to have added back two pounds of fat. It just doesn't seem to make sense to retain water like this. I don't think I eat that much sodium, and I am not a carbaholic.

Does anyone else lose like in spurts like this?

This is why it's often suggested to weigh yourself weekly rather than daily. Focus on the big picture rather than daily fluctuations.

Lol...that's exactly why I recommend daily. Imagine if you waited a whole week after working and sweating and then hit the scale only on your up days? Ugh...I'd throw in the towel. It's better to know that there are fluctuations and that you are headed in the right direction. Get a trending app ;)

EXACTLY! It's super depressing to miss a lower reading and see a high one on your one day weigh in!

Exactly! The more data the better. Just log it all and look at the trends. I weigh in the morning and every night before I go to bed, sometimes more after workouts.