Is there a such thing as too much protein?

Is it okay to go over on suggested protein or is that just a guideline of a minimum number to hit?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    The mfp protein guideline is a minimum. I tend to eat 120g sometimes, but mainly around 100g.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    HG3185 wrote: »
    Is it okay to go over on suggested protein or is that just a guideline of a minimum number to hit?

Is there too much protein, probably, but i doubt would get to that point. The protein recommendations can be low, depending on your calorie goal. Ideally, you want to aim for .6 to 1g per lb of weight. More as you get more lean or have more aggressive weight loss goals (which I generally wouldn't suggest).
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Is there too much protein, probably, but i doubt would get to that point. The protein recommendations can be low, depending on your calorie goal. Ideally, you want to aim for .6 to 1g per lb of weight. More as you get more lean or have more aggressive weight loss goals (which I generally wouldn't suggest).

This. Too much would be a number like 400+ g protein maybe. On a consistent and daily basis. For reference, that would take 3+lbs of chicken breasts or 5+lbs of beef pot (chuck) roast. Nobody is going to deliberately choose (or be able) to consume that meat mountain daily. Well, not the average (sane) person.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

This. Too much would be a number like 400+ g protein maybe. On a consistent and daily basis. For reference, that would take 3+lbs of chicken breasts or 5+lbs of beef pot (chuck) roast. Nobody is going to deliberately choose (or be able) to consume that meat mountain daily. Well, not the average (sane) person.

I do it regularly.

I never claimed to be sane though.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    The only way protein could be "too much" would be if it crowded out all the other nutrition from your diet. As long as you're getting enough healthy fats, vitamins and minerals, don't worry about getting too much protein.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member

This. Too much would be a number like 400+ g protein maybe. On a consistent and daily basis. For reference, that would take 3+lbs of chicken breasts or 5+lbs of beef pot (chuck) roast. Nobody is going to deliberately choose (or be able) to consume that meat mountain daily. Well, not the average (sane) person. Or are @Gallowmere1984

There. IFIFY :p
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

This. Too much would be a number like 400+ g protein maybe. On a consistent and daily basis. For reference, that would take 3+lbs of chicken breasts or 5+lbs of beef pot (chuck) roast. Nobody is going to deliberately choose (or be able) to consume that meat mountain daily. Well, not the average (sane) person. Or are @Gallowmere1984

There. IFIFY :p

Oh, it was fine the way it was. I know I'm unstable. Who else do you know who intentionally walks over 12 miles per day and takes ECY stacks while bulking, just to be able to eat this much without looking like the average Blizzcon attendee?

It's like being my old fat self again, but with more calories, less flab, and more heavy things being lifted. ;)
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Meat....meat....ugh meat...wish I could afford to eat pound after pound of it. Or kilo after kilo in my case. Protein filled foods are the most delicious things on the face of the planet.

I think the MFP goal for protein is ridiculously low. I'm happy if I get to 120g, and even more happy if that's closer to 160g. Probably a rather high amount for someone under 4 feet tall.