Binning the Booze

Options
Has anyone ditched alcohol for a year and willing to share their experiences?

I've not had alcohol since the 2nd and I'm now considering a personal challenge of a booze free year.

I think this is realistically the only way I will banish the mummy tummy.

Replies

• tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just work it into my allotted calories. I will stink vodka and soda with likes and lemons when out. I usually have a glass of red wine per night I am loosing weight and inches maybe if you really want it or have an event say, cut back elsewhere
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I went from drinking almost every day to just drinking on the weekends. Still lost the mommy tummy the first time (it took getting to a certain weight to see it disappear, so it cutting out the booze helps you lose that extra weight around your tummy, then that's what works for you), and it's almost gone again even with my two days of having drinks. I just work them into my calorie allowance for the week. :)

Good luck if you decide to take on that challenge!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking when my first pregnancy was revealed and stayed of the booze for 4 1/2 years due to consecutive (and concurrent) breastfeeding and pregnancy.

That was many years ago and social drinking crept back in.

I have gone for long periods abstaining though, sometimes deliberately, sometimes just haven't felt like it.

I had one 9 month period of immaculate clean eating and no booze and felt great. Was also working out a lot so it's unclear what part of the combination had me feeling so good.

I don't miss it after a while. I currently do drink moderately maybe twice a month.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I did stop drinking around the beginning of December. I had been able to lose while drinking, but it is so much easier for me to stay in my calories without it. For me it was a great decision. But people should do whatever fits their needs.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    At a certain point I decided alcohol wasn't worth the calories or money outside of very occasional (once every 2 months or so) trips out with friends. It can certainly work for calories in, calories out weight loss; but it makes getting proper nutrients for the day harder because it's pretty much just empty calories.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm a craft beer fan, I shall not quit it, but! I do drink way less than years ago, if anything cos 1: they are more fulfilling 2: They are pricier.
    So I work them into my calories and only for the weekends ;D
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im not giving up my beer, jack, or wine.

you can pry it out of my cold fat hands .....
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I work it into my calorie goal.

I find the type of alcohol consumed plays a large effect on appetite.

Example if I have a scotch or Bourbon neat, I sip it slowly and don't like to eat while enjoying aside from a small amt of dark chocolate sometimes.

If I have beer or wine, I'm much more tempted to have them alongside food and also let my inhibitions down to snack much more.
  • MaryLeuelu
    MaryLeuelu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I try to work it in, but sometimes it over flows. I am like callsitlikeiseeit. I would give up dinner rather than my beers.
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol about 5 months ago, but for me it was not just for weight loss but also general health. I was beginning to feel like it was sinking some talons into me. I don't miss it. I feel better mentally and physically than I have in long time. Now if I can just work up some motivation to exercise I'll be looking and feeling even better. The pounds haven't vanished super quick, but I've dropped 10 pounds. I haven't been very dedicated to myfitpal since stopping drinking though. Just started back up a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, congrats on your 1 year challenge. I think it's very commendable. Feel free to friend me or ask any questions you wish. I'm routing for you.
  • mamma_adventure
    mamma_adventure Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I suppose I would rather eat food than drink alcohol for just now :D

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I generally have a beer or whisky every day, I fit it into my cals.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I quit for two years. First it was just 39 days then I wanted to go 6 months then turned into two years. Then I started back up just once a month and now I'm once or twice a weekend if that. It's hard but so is a lot of *kitten* in life
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Kitten lol I typed *kitten* lol
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Okay it's not letting me post a bad word that starts with S and ends with T haha