Low carb question

Options
I used to have no problem doing low carb but now it makes me feel awful...no energy and run down. I don't understand...maybe I have more muscle or exercising more so my body is taking more energy than a year or so ago? Any ideas? Cause I feel fine once I eat a bunch of carbs...but that's defeating the purpose then.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are easily converted to glucose which is what provides your body with energy. Low carb is an option for weight loss, but it isn't necessary.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Defeating the purpose of what, exactly? What are you worried will happen if you eat more carbs?

Have you increased your activity level lately? Are you getting enough calories in general? Have you been losing weight at a faster rate than expected, or losing weight when you don't want to? Are you getting enough sleep? Has your stress level increased?

Also, if you open your diary, it will be easier to give you feedback.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So if you feel better eating carbs why not just eat them?
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Carbohydrates are easily converted to glucose which is what provides your body with energy. Low carb is an option for weight loss, but it isn't necessary.

Yeah, I was very low carb last time I was losing weight seriously. I felt wonderful, but this time I don't, so I eat all the carbs I want (within reason).
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Try upping your sodium/ potassium- check out Dr Stephen Phinney or Jeff Volek
  • RAxB
    RAxB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you do not have a medical reason to go low carb then just stick with what you can in your calorie goals. By saying "last time this way worked" that implies that it wasn't sustainable so try to use a method of weight loss that is sustainable, and enjoy the carbs and how they make you feel.
  • s3rialthrill3r
    s3rialthrill3r Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The low carb thing seems to be a fad from what I gathered. Where would you get your carbs from if you did eat a bunch?
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Are you in ketosis? Low carb is 150g or less. you might need to play around with how much you can consume. Up your fat intake as well. If none of that works, then low carb isn't for you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Do what works. If LCHF works, use it. If higher carb works, and you have no medical issues with higher carbs, then use it.

Consider your electrolytes too. When carbs are low, insulin goes lower and water and electrolytes are flushed from the body. Low carbers often need 3000-5000 mg of sodium ( 1-2 tsp salt) per day to avoid an electrolyte imbalance. Symptoms of low sodium are fatigue, headaches, brain fog, weak or sore muscles, BM issues, and muscle spasms if sodium gets very low (you may need potassium and magnesium at that point too).
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not necessary for weight loss. Avoiding empty calories, like a lot of refined carbs are, certainly helps. I had a lot of success eating whole grains, things like that that take your body longer to break down, and keep you full longer. Eat carbs smart and you'll be fine, and stick to a calorie deficit. A lot of days, I eat all the carbs in the world, but still lose weight. If low carb works for you, great. Sounds like it is making you miserable, though. Maybe just try simple CICO and see if that works. Good luck :)
  • Freedom125
    Freedom125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's most likely that you're low on electrolytes. You may need to supplement sodium, magnesium, and potassium as Heirgreat said.
  • alarmed123
    alarmed123 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Low carbs have worked wonders for me! Carbs increase your seratonin levels and seratonin makes you happy. When you avoid carbs you become depressed, well I did. Now I feel amazing! I avoid carbs like a plague. Almost everything we eat has carbs anyway, why add more? All our bodies are different though and I'm far from being an expert, but this has personally worked for me. At first it sucked but now I feel good. I miss them so much but not starting that again lol that's my love and worst enemy. Best of luck with whatever you do.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,852 Member
    Options
    I say find low carb options of what you want to eat like bread, so you are getting some but not over doing; Or get carbs from beans and other places so you don't over indulge on the pasra or whichever carb you love.