Winter Cycling Gloves - Any Recommendations?

Options
Can anybody recommend some winter cycling gloves?

Having been out for long rides this week in sub-zero temperatures, I get home with hands so cold that I cannot un-clip my cycling helmet (it also means that gear-changing etc is a problem on the way home). Not great. To state the obvious, it's usually my fingers and thumbs that are frozen, not the palms.

My interim measure is two pairs of gloves (my summer cycling gloves which are padded plus a pair of normal fleece/everyday gloves) but even that failed to work today - my husband had to un-clip my helmet for me. Time to get some proper gloves, methinks :)

Just to add: the reason I'm asking in the middle of winter instead of sorting this out BEFORE the cold weather is that I didn't actually think that I'd still be cycling at this time of year. But I am, much to my own surprise.

For info: I usually cycle anywhere between 15 and 30 miles daily, road work only and the gloves MUST be padded on the palms (physio recommendation as I have problems with some of my joints, so that's another reason to keep my hands warm). Waterproof would be useful as I am mad enough to go out when it's raining. Oh, and if it makes a difference, I'm female.

I've had a look on the internet but they don't seem to have many reviews and the reviews that do exist are contradictory which is confusing. Much prefer personal recommendations.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I wear lobster gloves...that is when I'm brave enough to go outside...

BK.jpg

Mostly I'm a pretty fair weather guy though and end up on my indoor trainer.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a set of craft winter gloves had them years a bit similar to full fingered ski gloves. Fine down to abouts minus 10 for a couple of hours. Also a set of disposable gloves can help insulate the hand or set of marigolds and gloves is pretty old school but works. Then a pair of heavy weight cycling gloves. Can help.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    When I cycled through winters in Canada, I went with ski gloves or ski mitts ... with mini gloves.

You can pick up those mini gloves everywhere for $1 or $2 or something, and I got a collection of them. Put a pair on, slip your hands into ski gloves or mitts, and you're set.

Then if you need to make adjustments, you can do it with your hands still in the mini gloves.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Years ago with Pearl Izumi mitts for cycling as well as sking. Now I just carry two Head running gloves (cheap from Costco). Good down to mid 40s F and two cause of sweat. My gloves would be complete soaked by hour two and my hands would freeze an hour later. Rain is no problem although soaked, its normally get warmer where I'm at and my rides get shorter. Good luck.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    When I cycled through winters in Canada, I went with ski gloves or ski mitts ... with mini gloves.

+1 to the snowsports thing. in my case, it's snowboarder stuff. a lot of snowboarder equipment seems like the most compatible with cycling needs; i have a pair of boots too that i sometimes break out when it's getting seriously cold.

certainly right now my go-to is a pair made by kombi. can't tell you where they were sold new, as i found them for $3 at a local thrift store.

mini-gloves work too, but i went to the trouble of knitting myself a pair of 'real' gloves out of sock yarn. they're 75% wool and it does make a difference to me.