Different theories !

Options
Hi all how you getting on ? My heads a bit fried really. I'm told calorie counting doesn't wrk , then I'm told do Sw or eat clean . I'm so confused

Replies

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I just calorie count and eat my normal favorite foods. Lost 45 lbs the first time and got to goal weight. Had another baby and went back to calorie counting again and have lost 20 lbs out of the 23 lbs I gained that pregnancy. SW (I'm assuming Slimming World) works for some people, eating clean works for some people. Find what works for you and roll with it. :)

But calorie counting does work for most people (maybe medical conditions or something makes it harder, I won't speak for everyone)
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is a decent system but not perfect. It assigns every food a number, without strictly putting anything off limits. There's no saying you can't combine methods. MyFitnessPal is a great way to track how much of what you're eating over an extended period of time.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Well, calorie counting isn't a diet or way of eating. Calories are a measure of energy, the body requires a certain amount to stay a stable weight, eat fewer than that and you lose weight, eat more than that and you gain. It's the science of weight.

SW and clean eating may lead to you being in a calorie deficit but they aren't doing anything different than what calorie counting will achieve (and eating clean has no guarantees if you don't have a way of knowing how much you are eating).
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Your body will count them whether you do or not...if eating low carb, following SW, IF, or eating "clean" are easier ways for you to stay in a calorie deficit then by all means use them. You can eat through them all though if you're not paying attention to calories-the bottom line.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,065 Member
    Options
    I've been using CICO since I was about 17 years old. I use it because it makes sense and it works.

A few times, I've had to use CI<CO to lose a bit of weight.
    A few times, I've had to use CI>CO to gain a bit of weight.
    But most of the time I've had to use CI=CO to maintain weight. :)