Sodium and sugar struggle

Options
irshkds6295
irshkds6295 Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So doing research my sugar grams included natural and added sugar. So with that said i struggle to stay under my limits with sodium and sugara somedays. What foods or snacks are low in sodium and sugar??

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Many of us don't have medical conditions that make it necessary to track sodium or sugar, so we don't. If you have a medical reason to keep sodium or sugar low it's a good idea to talk to your doctor about things they would like you to limit consumption of. If you are getting most of your sugar from fruits I would change the settings to not include sugar as a tracked item. It will hide it from the main diary display.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • irshkds6295
    irshkds6295 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am only tracking sugars and sodium because i am trying to lose weight. And as a woman sodium and sugars are a concern because of bloating. And doing research added sugar should be limited to 25g or less a day and my tracker gives me 52g so im assuming it does that to include natural sugars. Just trying to figure out foods that will keep me under my limits. This is the first time i have stuck to a diet and want to have success.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman too. Sodium may cause temporary water retention, but if they cause bloating it's an indication you might be eating something you are mildly allergic to.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Please be aware that lowering your carb intake - by lowering sugars - can cause low sodium. If you start getting headaches, fatigue, BM issues, nausea, muscle aches or spasms, it is a sign that you need to supplement with more sodium.

Meats, eggs, full fat dairy (like 10% plain yogurt or cheese), nuts, seeds, coconut and most veggies will be low in sugars. Highly processed foods seem to have more sugars (beyond sweeteners like honey and tropical fruits).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you want to stick to your diet and have success, focus on the important stuff. To lose weight, all you need is to eat fewer calories than you burn. "Bloating" is blown out of proportion (pardon the pun).
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Woman here as well and I don't track either and instead just focus on my calorie intake. I've never had issues with bloating.

Also, you'll have success with weight loss by eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals :)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I have BP issues and carefully monitor sodium.
    Proceed foods of most forms tend to be high, canned foods, most restaurants foods are loaded with sodium*. There are low sodium types of soups, canned goods etc. Start reading labels. The DASH diet is a good reference.

*check out your favorite fast food place place. A Mcdonalds egg mcmuffin is over a third of your daily allowance!
  • msfanglet
    msfanglet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm also on BP meds (1st week) I saw my blood pressure explode yesterday after I inadvertently ate 3500 mg salt. I also can see some swelling in my fingers . And I ate 'healthy'. I have spent the last two grocery shopping trips, reading labels. I can only imagine that my salt intake could easily reach 7000-8000mg some days. Just adding my 2 cents. I'm looking for a message board specifically related to BP and salt.