intermittent fasting and A1C

Options
Hello!

I've been looking into intermittent fasting, however I need to lower my a1C. I'm getting mixed answers online- some say it's great for not spiking blood sugar and others say fasting causes your body to create more cortasol (sp?) therefore spiking your blood sugar. Does anybody know anything about this?

Thank you!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor? Or better still, a diabetic nutritionist?
  • mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I actually have an appt with a dietitian in a few weeks...but Im just curious with anyone's experience. I'm not diabetic but I am hoping to lower it due to the fact I'm 5.8. Thanks for your answers!
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with high cortisol and since I have been doing intermittent fasting at a ratio of 17/7, I feel so much better! Now I didn't start at that ratio, I worked up to it weekly.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've been looking into intermittent fasting, however I need to lower my a1C. I'm getting mixed answers online- some say it's great for not spiking blood sugar and others say fasting causes your body to create more cortasol (sp?) therefore spiking your blood sugar. Does anybody know anything about this?

Thank you!

My doctor asked me to do IF bc she said it is phenomenal for lowering blood sugar and A1C. I hold her no but that's bc I just don't want to do IF right now. I've done it before and it just doesn't fit my life right now. Every body is different. The only way you'll really know if it works for you is to try it for 30-45 days and track your blood sugar. Test your A1C at that point or wait the full 90 days to retest and see how it goes. My doc swears by it for her patients.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me I think losing weight was #1 in dropping A1C points (5.9 to 5.6 in three mos). I need to keep going down, but also still have ~30 more pounds to go. Interested in the responses!
  • mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bump