Freezing rice.

Options
I was wondering if anyone cookes lots of rice and freezes it. If so how do you store it and how long does it last. Thx

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I batch cook rice dishes a lot. As long as the container is sealed well, I would expect it to last months or more (poorly sealed could result in freezer burn over long time).
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have done plain rice in single serving bundles in Saran Wrap. Then you heat it a little in the microwave.
  • MaryLeuelu
    MaryLeuelu Posts: 99 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm with cmtigger I freeze it in serving lots in a snap lock sandwich bags 2 serves per bag. Warm up in microwave with a little water, sort of rejuvenates it.
    I also do this with noodles and potatoes.
  • friedargh
    friedargh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with cmtigger - wrap the rice whilst it's still warm in plastic wrap and then pop into a freezer bag. Wrapping the rice whilst it's warm means it produces a bit of steam in the microwave (avoiding dry rice).
  • sparks9777
    sparks9777 Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I put a half cup of cooked rice in snake size zip top bags. I use it within a month. I cheat and get the rice from the Chinese take out.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Flash freeze cooked rice directly on a metal baking sheet. When you put it into a freezer bag, you can scoop out just the amount you need without the kernels sticking to each other.