how long do you work out?

Options
I work out 5 days a week for 30 minutes just doing cardio. is that okay or should i be doing more??

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    That's great. Keep doing what you enjoy and what you can do.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    You probably need to implement some kind of strength or core training. If you are not used to weights, start out with smaller dumbbells. You want to do 20-30 minutes per day, 3 days per week. Cardio is great for burning calories but it won't give you a sculpted body. Good luck.

Jason
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hmm I haven't timed it but.. I lift weights 3x week, average 35-45 minutes, except the butt day as I call it, which seems to never end and it's about a whole hour O_o with resting time of course, then 20-30 mins cardio or 20 HIIT, depends and the other days 35 minutes dancing, on Sunday NOTHING. so the total would be around... I can't do math properly but I think it's enough >_<
    So, like Jason person said, add strength training!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me I have done 337 minutes of exercise this week
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    @KatzeDerNacht22 . HIIT is excellent and I love it. I'm recovering from a broken ankle and can't do plyos just yet but HIIT is much better than walking treadmill or doing elliptical.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My lifting sessions last 75-90 minutes, including all the warmup stuff. Cardio days are probably an hour.

I don't really aim at a time goal. I do my programmed exercises for lifting and then for cardio I go by distance or until I need to do something else.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Honestly do what is best for you right now. I do gym 4-5 times a week with workouts set between 30 mins to 45. Consistency is just the main thing if your starting out. Strength training does have great benefits, but it can easily be added later on.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I do similar to u kylieasaurous, 3-5times a week depending how im feeling, having 3 kids plus working at a hospital so some weeks r better then others but 5times a week is brilliant keep it up
  • KimmalyS
    KimmalyS Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Girl- you are doing just fine. 5 out of 7 days a week? -- awesome. Do what works for you, it's all about consistency.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    generally, monday-friday, an hour of cardio before i go to work (this means, im at the gym at 6 am).

i avoid weekends because ... people. i dislike people. lol

this week it will be sunday - wednesday because im leaving the country thursday morning.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    30-60 minutes, depends on how far I decide to run or if I take a class at the gym. Sunday is my rest day.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week for 30 minutes just doing cardio. is that okay or should i be doing more??

What are your goals?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. I work out about 200-240 minutes/week.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Mon-Thurs I try to get 40-45 min cardio in the morning (mostly kickboxing or aerobics.) M/T/Th are my strength workouts in the evenings and Wed I do 6week 6 pack abs. Friday and Saturday I try to get an hour in the morning (cardio or circuits) and Sunday I try to run.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I got two and a half hours in on the trails today. I wanted to spend more time out, but it was warm and the snow was getting slower and more chopped up and dumped on, so I called it a day.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    The CDC recommends 150 minutes a week to maintain and double to improve. 1 to 3 sessions of muscular and 3 to 5 sessions of cardio.

If you do vagarious cardio, you can count 2 minutes for every minute.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym the moment the doors open in the morning, and have to hit the road to commute to work an hour later. Counting dressing/shower time, this typically gives me only 25-30 minutes to actually workout, but I do that every day of the week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said ... it depends on your goals. What you're doing could be just fine. :)

Personally, I need to do more to accomplish my goals.
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have 3-4 heavy days of 40 minutes step aerobics in the day and then 20-30 minutes on recumbent bike late at night before bed 1-2 medium days of just the step and then 2 days of just an easy 30 minute walk or heavy house cleaning. Just to be sure I stay somewhat active on my down days.
    My heavy days I do because I enjoy it and I can have a little bit more calories. I am not worried about weights right now just trimming down.