My Story-any similar ones out there?

Options
Hello All,

I am about to enter my fourth year of University in Canada, and I thought this would be a good time to get myself on a healthy track. At just 21, I have a long history of fluctuating weight issues. Like many others, as a child I could eat anything and everything and not gain a pound ( it helped that I danced 6 hours a week competitively). My little brother was the "chubby one" of the family, and my weight-obsessed father would poke fun at his belly and champion my weight and constant energy. Poor little guy. Of course, when the two of us went through puberty, my weight climbed up and I lead a more sedentary lifestyle, and my once-little brother shot up and became a lanky, bottomless pit. Grrr! Anyway, I have had struggles with my weight over the years.

I was a healthy, active 5"4, 125 lbs when I entered University in my first year. Booze and dining hall food pushed that number to 138. All it took to lose the weight was a summer away from school. Upon entering second year, I had a really bad bout of anxiety-intensified ibd, and found myself unable to eat anything without feeling terribly ill. My weight plummeted to 105 lbs, and I looked and felt awful! Three medications later and I am now able to go ahead and eat without feeling sick to my stomach, but now I am sitting at the heaviest I've ever been, which is awful for the old self-esteem, but I did it to myself.

Not trying to get all "woe is me," but does it ever end? I am hoping for a fresh start from all this fluctuation, where I can feel happy, healthy, energized and ready to take on the world by the time I obtain my undergraduate degree. Here we go!

Replies

• rachf2013
    rachf2013 Posts: 69
    Options
    Ok this response is about to sound really cliche, but someone has to say it.

Its ends when you decide to love your body no matter. Stay healthy because that's part of loving your body. But don't worry about the number on the scale. Eat when you are hungry, get all the nutrients you eat (go for variety in fruits/veggies!), and get enough exercise to keep your heart happy. But at the end of the day, its about loving your body- not despite of its flaws, but because of them.

That being said, I did the same thing when I went to university (cept I never dropped the weight) and I weighed the most I'd ever had. I found out that I have PCOS and once I got on meds (like you did) it evened out a bit.
    So I say get all your meds aligned, eat the right foods (and indulge every now and then), love your body anyway, and it'll stop fluctuating.
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was always thin when I was younger, ate such crap foods and didn't gain anything. I am 5"4 and weighed in at 110-120 up until I got majorly depressed and got lots of anxiety issues. Lost some, then gained even more back! I miss being thin.

Now I am at the heaviest I have ever weighed. I KNOW that I will lose it. I am so determined. I have awesome weight loss goals, I have awesome daily work out goals, I eat great... It's been a month or so and I feel wonderful. For the first time in 4 years I am losing this weight, getting happy and healthy. If I can, you can! You need to believe in yourself. Find something that motivates you more than anything. For me, it's my daughter.

Feel free to add me!