Having trouble getting all my calories in :(

Options

Replies

• Bonniev4071
    Bonniev4071 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    beckajw wrote: »
    First, congratulations on starting this journey to repair your relationship with food.

Mindful eating will help you to feel fuller with fewer calories. However, often at the beginning of a weight loss journey people think they feel full when they really aren't. This can lead to binging later on, if you are not careful.

Another reason you may be feeling fuller is because when eating healthier, you are likely getting more protein and fiber. These two things really help to fill you up. However, make sure you are also getting healthy fats. Those will add in calories without filling you up. For example, add some olive oil to your salad; cook a stir fry in coconut oil; add avocado to your salad or sandwich; etc.

Also, I wouldn't consider fast food a "cheat." I don't consider anything a cheat. Considering things a cheat often makes them a trigger. Your lifestyle may be different than mine. In mine, there are days where I basically have no choice, but to stop for some type of fast food (or eat another meal replacement bar). I've made that work for me. I've lost weight and gotten healthier (better cholesterol, lower blood pressure, etc.), while still having the occasional fast food burger and fries or even a shake.

In short, I would start by adding in healthy fats. Your body needs them and they'll add calories without filling you up. However, if you start having a craving, it's fine to eat a "cheat" once in a while.

Thank you.. I have lost 45 pounds but am in a stall at the moment after gaining two pounds back..I thank you all for the advice.. it helps.
  • Bonniev4071
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I see a lot of threads like this. I seriously would love to see the diaries of folks that say they are full at 1000 calories. It would sure help me to know exactly what they are eating.

Just made mine public..
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    you are nt logging your food correctly. learn how to use a food scale

This. You're more than likely eating more than you think.
  • Bonniev4071
    Options

I do have a food scale. So, should I weigh everything and redo my diary?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

You don't have to redo, just start fresh with your next meal.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Yes to weighing everything. No to redoing your diary retroactively. Just start weighing everything going forward.
  • Bonniev4071
    Options

Weighing your solids and measuring your liquids provides the most accuracy.

Thank you, I honestly didn't know that. :(
  • Bonniev4071
    Options

Yes to weighing everything. No to redoing your diary retroactively. Just start weighing everything going forward.

Thank you
  • Bonniev4071
    Options

You don't have to redo, just start fresh with your next meal.

Thank you
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    JMO, but if you're not hungry, don't eat. I'm convinced that compulsive eating has become a thing, because people feel like they should eat certain amounts of food at certain times of the day.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Eat foods high in protein and good fats
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    JMO, but if you're not hungry, don't eat. I'm convinced that compulsive eating has become a thing, because people feel like they should eat certain amounts of food at certain times of the day.

Eating too low in calories over a long period of time has health concequences.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    First, Congrats on the weight loss you've accomplished so far!!! You're well on your way :)

Looking back through your food diary, there are many days with little to no logging. You'll do much better if you log every single day, even if you go over on your calories. You can look back and see what may contribute to a stall or gain. As stated above, weigh everything you can so your entries are more accurate. If you eat out, you may have to guess a bit, but log it anyway as closely as possible.

As far as getting all of your calories in, don't avoid butter, oils, and other good fats. (But make sure to log them!)

No reason to avoid carbs, either, as long as you weigh them and fit them into your calorie goal.

No bad food, just watch portions. :smiley:
  • Bonniev4071
    Options
    Eat foods high in protein and good fats

will be working on that
  • Bonniev4071
    Options
    mij140 wrote: »
    I'm thinking you're not accurately measuring everything. I would be starving if I only ate 1,000 calories a day. As a previous poster said, weigh everything you consume. I even measure my wine. Lol. I don't beat myself up if I go over and I don't force myself to eat more if I am full.

As a reference, I'm 5'6", 134 lbs. I eat 1,900 calories a day.

Yes, most definitely going to be working on the measuring.
  • Bonniev4071
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I agree you should weigh foods for accuracy. But kudos on the good food choices. Thanks for letting us see your diary. If you continue to be too low, adding some healthy fat (nuts, peanut butter, olive oil) may help.

Thank you. Most definitely going to be making some changes and adding things.