I'm desperate

Options
I need to lose 30lbs by may idk if it's possible but I need motivational friends In the same boat.. I'm a single mom with 2 kids with no friends here.. please someone join this journey with me.

Replies

• Locked_On_Target
    Locked_On_Target Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Going to have to disagree with you @lynn_glenmont With proper diet and training I think she could lose 2lbs a week in a healthy way and give her a net loss of 28lbs by May 1st. It wouldn't be easy, but its possible.
  • FS717
    FS717 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can reach that goal. Most importantly, make sure you don't go into starvation mode. You won't loose much & it's not healthy.

Good luck
  • ceilthegreat
    ceilthegreat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's very doable. No crazy diets or restrictions or excessive work outs required. But it will be a lot of work and she will have to be very self motivated.
    For two lbs per week, you need a deficit of 7000 calories per week which is a 1000 calorie (deficit) per day average. You can use a combination of calorie deficit and exercise to burn calories to reach that goal. Eat less and exercise more, but you know that. Make sure your calories don't drop too low because your body can be fooled into thinking you are starving and will stop losing weight, and you might even gain weight.
    If it's just a number you want to reach, then I wouldn't concentrate so much on weights as you'll be putting on muscle as you lose fat. And even though one pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat (one pound of anything weighs the same as one pound of anything else), muscle takes up less room. So a little bit of muscle is still going to add to your weight.
    But if you are looking to fit into a certain size then definitely incorporate weight training. Muscles are sexy.
    It will be a lot of hard work but I think it's very doable. Good luck!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Going to have to disagree with you @lynn_glenmont With proper diet and training I think she could lose 2lbs a week in a healthy way and give her a net loss of 28lbs by May 1st. It wouldn't be easy, but its possible.

If you are over 300 pounds.... then 30 pounds in 3 months quite doable.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes it's doable but not realistic if you're close to goal. Also are you still breast feeding? As it's also not a good idea to have a 1000calorie deficit if you are. Keep using MFP =) Make many great friends and keep logging and staying active. You will lose the weight.

Good luck on your journey OP.
    I agree, it's very doable. No crazy diets or restrictions or excessive work outs required. But it will be a lot of work and she will have to be very self motivated.
    For two lbs per week, you need a deficit of 7000 calories per week which is a 1000 calorie (deficit) per day average. You can use a combination of calorie deficit and exercise to burn calories to reach that goal. Eat less and exercise more, but you know that. Make sure your calories don't drop too low because your body can be fooled into thinking you are starving and will stop losing weight, and you might even gain weight.
    If it's just a number you want to reach, then I wouldn't concentrate so much on weights as you'll be putting on muscle as you lose fat. And even though one pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat (one pound of anything weighs the same as one pound of anything else), muscle takes up less room. So a little bit of muscle is still going to add to your weight.
    But if you are looking to fit into a certain size then definitely incorporate weight training. Muscles are sexy.

Um can you please back this up with research? I doubt you will gain weight doing a 1000calorie deficit due to "starvation mode"

Just gonna leave this here for you
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10484592/one-of-the-most-debated-topics-starvation-mode/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1
  • ramoskevin
    ramoskevin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You got this girl just eat lean meats and cut out bread and dairy. Also walk about 3 miles a day with a 1500 calorie intake
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    fs717 wrote: »
    I'm sure you can reach that goal. Most importantly, make sure you don't go into starvation mode. You won't loose much & it's not healthy.

Good luck

Starvation mode isn't a thing like how you think it is. See the links DietVanilla provided above.

OP, it might happen, it might not, just focus on doing your very best! Even if you're only down 10lbs by May, it's still 10lbs less than you weigh now.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Feel less desperate by picking a realistic goal. You can realistically lose up to 1% of your total bodyweight per week. But then you have to be committed, and patient, and know what you are dong, and do it right, all the time. This is much more effective than any motivation.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options

Without her stats, how can you possibly make that judgment? She could be a healthy weight already, and the 30 lbs she wants to lose could make her underweight. Even if she's only slightly overweight, losing 2 lbs a week for most women would not be muscle sparing. You don't have the information to make that judgment.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to lose 30 lbs by May?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

First of all starvation mode is a myth. Second on a big enough deficit to lose 30 lbs she isn't going to gain much if any muscle. People seem to really underestimate the difficulty of adding muscle.