The Top 17 Nutrition Myths of 2017

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    mcraw75 wrote: »
    Ryokat wrote: »
    What about breakfast being the most important meal of the day? I hate that one, although it's been around a lot longer than just 2017.

Research has shown that children who eat breakfast have higher test scores than those that don't. It's the most important meal for the brain, but maybe not the body?
    While a correlation, I believe that it likely true due to kids usually not eating a lot in the first place. Now I wonder if this same analogy happens in other countries where the kids are in school much later in the day than in the US.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    dasz88 wrote: »
    Don't think of these as nutrition "myths", think of them as nutrition "alternative facts!"
    :P

That's it, thread's done.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Don't think of these as nutrition "myths", think of them as nutrition "alternative facts!"
    They aren't all alternative FACTS though. Alternative thinking yes, but a lot of the myths have been debunked by actual science.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Where does "the scale doesn't matter and the BMI charts are wrong/don't apply" fall? IMHO, I think they matter for something. We're not all bodybuilders or athletes.

+1

Very few of us are bodybuilders or athletes. Most of us are a whole lot more average than we'd like to admit. :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    They aren't all alternative FACTS though. Alternative thinking yes, but a lot of the myths have been debunked by actual science.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You haven't been watching the news, have you ;)

Too broke for tv service (praise Reekris!) but I've seen enough headlines on fb to get the jist of it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    From a great site, Examine:

https://examine.com/nutrition/awful-nutrition-myths/

The list of myths:

Myth 1: Carbs are bad for you
    Myth 2: Fats are bad for you
    Myth 3: Protein is bad for you
    Myth 4: Egg yolks are bad for you
    Myth 5: Red meat is bad for you
    Myth 6: Salt is bad for you
    Myth 7: Bread is bad for you
    Myth 8: Whole-wheat bread is far better than white bread
    Myth 9: High-fructose corn syrup is far worse than sugar
    Myth 10: Foods are always superior to supplements:
    Myth 11: Supplements are superior to foods
    Myth 12: You should eat "clean"
    Myth 13: You should "detox" regularly
    Myth 14: To lose fat, eat more often
    Myth 15: To lose fat, don't eat before bed
    Myth 16: To lose fat, do your cardio on an empty stomach
    Myth 17: You need protein right after your workout

Read the link for explanations why you shouldn't believe these myths.

5 months into the year, and I think this needs to be bumped.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd not seen it so thanks for bumping.

I'm glad carbs come near the top. The amount of times people remark that they are surprised I eat bread or chocolate desserts.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I'm glad carbs come near the top. The amount of times people remark that they are surprised I eat bread or chocolate desserts.

yes! I could told there was no way I could eat the carbs that I do (approx. 300g a day) because I should be fat (because of how your "body processes carbs")
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I am eating lowish fat but good fats and a reasonable amount of carbs. Averaging 1600-1700 cals a day. Slow loss of 114 kg to 105-106 kg in 4 months which included 5 weeks off diet due to holidays etc. Minimal exercise due to dodgy hip....it can be done!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

yes! I could told there was no way I could eat the carbs that I do (approx. 300g a day) because I should be fat (because of how your "body processes carbs")

It's my boss, I adore her I really do but she is a large lady who "Diets" every few months for a few weeks before binging and quitting.
    Every time she sees me eating chocolate or bread she wants to know how I'm thin. I tell her every time yet she tells me the carbs will make me hungrier due to how they process and I'll end up just wanting more carbs.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Talking about myths I came across this post in another forum about why someone isn't losing weight. One myth after another. Strange thing is that not a single person mentioned that this person is most likely consuming way more than she thinks because she isn't weighing her food but using measuring cups and spoons.

http://www.livestrong.com/conversations/comments/1401328-feeling-discouraged/
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

It's my boss, I adore her I really do but she is a large lady who "Diets" every few months for a few weeks before binging and quitting.
    Every time she sees me eating chocolate or bread she wants to know how I'm thin. I tell her every time yet she tells me the carbs will make me hungrier due to how they process and I'll end up just wanting more carbs.

and then eat a donut in front of her ;)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Talking about myths I came across this post in another forum about why someone isn't losing weight. One myth after another. Strange thing is that not a single person mentioned that this person is most likely consuming way more than she thinks because she isn't weighing her food but using measuring cups and spoons.

Holy crap, that's a bajillion bad suggestions!

Is that site always so derpy?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

OMG, yes. I was on there today after I googled something, and there was an article containing this gem "Lunch should include a protein source that is low in fat. Some examples include tofu, beans, nuts, peanut butter or fish."

Uhhh.... nuts and peanut butter are a fat sources, not a protien source. They sure as hell aren't "low in fat"
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options

Yes.

I signed up with them to use their food logging site a number of years ago, and lasted 3 weeks. The site's database was so poor I had to enter everything about the food myself ... and then stuff would disappear and I'd have to enter it all again. A few years later, I logged into their site again ... and lasted another 3 weeks. They were going through some changes to the database and food logging portion. Some things were better, some things were worse. By the end of 3 weeks I was too frustrated to continue. Took me about an hour a day to enter my food!!

However, since then, I get "newsletter" emails from them. And ... just ... wow.

I delete them without even looking at them now.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Sadly yep. However, we are the uneducated ones who have only done bias research. I read the forums for a laugh but you will be bullied for suggesting there is nothing wrong with eating a banana if you don't have a medical condition preventing you from doing so.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Myth 472 starvation mode is real
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

After that comment I had to go look...

I think I sprained something wincing and rolling my eyes... :astonished: