I over did it. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

This isn't the first time I've pushed it too hard and now have some amazing DOMS. About once or twice a year I'll end up in this position because I think I can go a lot harder than I actually can.

I worked legs on Tuesday. Today, (Friday) quads and calves are still tender to the touch. I could hardly walk at all the last two days, and when I did I looked like an octogenarian. My sleep has been disrupted every time I'd roll over due to the pain of the movement.

I'm finally able to walk (somewhat) normally today. I'm still very, very sore.

Is there a way that a person can shorten the duration of DOMS while still working out like a beast? I had to take ibuprofen on Thursday just to get through my work day. It wasn't my first choice, but I didn't really know what else to do. I had to be on my feet all day.

I'd like to work out harder, but my body keeps saying no. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Right there with you, but for me it's every single time I lift.

In for responses.
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Bump
  • mmouse90
    mmouse90 Posts: 83
    I would not keep pushing yourself that much, your body is telling you it is too much. you don't need to stop just scale back alittle. I have read about people pushing themselves too much and end up with kidney failure....even though they were drinking enough water and eating right. To help with my sore muscles I will soak in a tub of hot water with Epson salt at night; that for some odd reason helps A LOT. I will take Aleve in the morning.
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Yup, epsom salt bath works wonders. Don't know why, but you'll feel better.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Not sure I qualify as "working out like a beast," but eating some protein before and after seems to help me avoid DOMS. That and (for legs) making sure I do some normal walking right afterward.
  • I am a fan of the soreness. I appreciate what it means... That I worked hard... That I challenged myself. I am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and surely needed Advil during my training more than once. It is not a bad thing! Of course you should never put yourself in a position where you are unable to get through your daily life. However, I have had and will have plenty of days where I am hurtin' just a bit! Take a nice hot bath, take the appropriate dosage of Advil and smile... You just kicked some serious butt :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Do the opposite of what you've been doing. Sounds like you've been avoiding movement all week. Go for a good, brisk walk. You'll be stiff at first but after a few minutes you'll be warmed up and good to go. Increase the pace and keep walking. When you're done do a few air squats and spend 5-8 minutes stretching.

Typically the cure for soreness is the next workout, not rest.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    I love me some DOMS! I get it when I did something new, worked something new, pushed myself somewhere new. And then I miss it when it's not there.
    You got some good suggestions! Bath, stretching, foam roller, Advil. Ultimately going back to the gym is what does the trick for me.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    A VERY light leg workout again. I mean, body weight or less if you can.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Great suggestions and I’ve used most of them.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Great suggestions and I’ve used most of them.

Do you do strength or cardio first? I do strength first and have less DOMS episodes.
  • srs88
    srs88 Posts: 15 Member
    Icepack
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Do the opposite of what you've been doing. Sounds like you've been avoiding movement all week. Go for a good, brisk walk. You'll be stiff at first but after a few minutes you'll be warmed up and good to go. Increase the pace and keep walking. When you're done do a few air squats and spend 5-8 minutes stretching.

Yup, some light cardio usually does the job for me.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member

Yep. I've got a border collie and she needs her walks. :laugh: Also, I don't own a car, I use my bike as my main form of transportation, and have been riding about 10 miles a day (including leg day). So basically, 3-4 miles walking (albeit slowly at times) and 10 miles on the bike.

Grrr, still hurts like hell.

Oh, and I worked a waitressing shift for 8 hours on Thursday.

I wish I could say that I'm a fan of the soreness. This is a new routine for me, and I know that is why I'm hurting so much now. I'm pretty familiar with the "breaking in" phase, and due to the level of pain is why I tend to stick to the same old workouts. I wish there was a meter or something that would beep at me when I'm going at it too hard. For some reason, when I'm in the middle of a workout it just doesn't register that I'm over doing it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member

Do you do strength or cardio first? I do strength first and have less DOMS episodes.

Yes. I ride my bike to the gym and then ride home after.

I will definitely give the Epson salts bath a try! I have a jacuzzi and sauna at my apartment complex, and will soak my aching legs tonight, too. I'm going on a 40 mile ride tomorrow, and need my legs to be working a little better than they are right now.

There are some excellent suggestions here. I was hoping that some super dose of vitamins or something would help, but I suppose there really aren't any shortcuts in life.
  • lvnh
    lvnh Posts: 60 Member
    I feel your pain. Had it worse yesterday. I invested in a foam roller and love how it gets those knots to loosen up. My trainer said I was an overachiever and overdid it the past couple of days, lol. Took it a little easier at the gym today but hopefully will be back on track by Sunday.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    I've read a few studies that said that people who have more flexibility experience less DOMS and it leasts less time. I don't know if it's true, but I'm not very flexible, and I do get it bad sometimes, like you from Tuesday.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member

This.
    Works for me every time. :smile:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    The best thing I found was working out the next possible time, the following day. Gets rid of it faster.