Newly diagnosed bluimic

Options
As the title suggests was diagnosed with bulimia just before Christmas waiting for professional help but waiting list 4 months. Wonderful if anyone else is in same situation as me finding it very difficult to get out of the cycle of binging purging ect. Not much support from family they just don't understand why I do these things to myself honestly neither do I because I feel pretty crap about the whole thing. If anyone has recover advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    As a past bulimic myself, I'm going to be upfront and say the MFP is probably not the place for someone that is newly diagnosed and does not have a recovery team yet. Although there can be support, I would personally be more concerned about being triggered when the cognitive tools have not been given to you yet by professionals.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I've been there, twice. 1983 and in 2013-14. You got to listen to the professionals. Stop counting calories, stop weighing yourself. Stop dieting. The further away from obsessing over food the better. Unlike and unfollow sites related to food on twitter, Facebook, Pinterest. And maybe even get off MFP. You are in a battle with the deepest part of your brain that sees dieting as a threat to survival. Prayers.
  • George8383
    George8383 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    As a past bulimic myself, I'm going to be upfront and say the MFP is probably not the place for someone that is newly diagnosed and does not have a recovery team yet. Although there can be support, I would personally be more concerned about being triggered when the cognitive tools have not been given to you yet by professionals.

Thank you for taking the time to read post and your opinion.
  • George8383
    George8383 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been there, twice. 1983 and in 2013-14. You got to listen to the professionals. Stop counting calories, stop weighing yourself. Stop dieting. The further away from obsessing over food the better. Unlike and unfollow sites related to food on twitter, Facebook, Pinterest. And maybe even get off MFP. You are in a battle with the deepest part of your brain that sees dieting as a threat to survival. Prayers.

Thanks for reading as you have been there twice you know how very hard all your advice is.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm a mostly recovered anorexic binge/purge subtype. I agree with the others about not counting calories,etc. I still find it triggering even after being in recovery many years