What will you never buy since you learned to cook? What can you cook but still buy from the store?

Replies

• DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited January 2017
    When I first got divorced, I took all the bills and paid child support on top of it. So, I ate Top Ramen for the first six months until I got my Harley paid off, then I "graduated" to Swanson's $1.00 TV dinners for the next six months until my son graduated high school (End of child support - 2004) and could actually afford a crock-pot and some groceries. From there, I learned to cook and haven't touched Top Ramen or TV dinners since. My meals are all made from scratch except for cereal, bread, butter and stuff like that.
  • CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Canned biscuits are not allowed in my kitchen.
    I bought powdered buttermilk and want to make biscuits but the recipes I've seen kinda make me nervous

I have never used powdered butter milk. But I have considered it.
    You know, biscuits are easy. You just need to get your oven hot enough. Make sure you don't work the dough too much. I use 2 cups of flour (use self rising if it's easier for you) 1/2 cup each butter and crisco, about a teaspoon salt. make sure you rub the fat in pretty good, no big chunks should be left. Then make a well in the mixture and add about a cup of buttermilk, stir until all the flour is wet, add a little more buttermilk as needed. Not too much though, you don't want it to be runny. Turn it out on to a floured surface, add enough flour to keep it from sticking to your hands and cut out the biscuits and place into your greased pan. Or you can drop the biscuits by the spoonful onto the pan. Bake at about 450° about 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Easy peasy! Start with a half batch if you want to get your technique down pat before doing a larger batch.
    @CooCooPuff @Alatariel75

Thank you! Copied and emailed to myself, ready for trying out on the weekend.

Great! Let me know how it goes!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Canned biscuits are not allowed in my kitchen.
    I bought powdered buttermilk and want to make biscuits but the recipes I've seen kinda make me nervous

I have never used powdered butter milk. But I have considered it.
    You know, biscuits are easy. You just need to get your oven hot enough. Make sure you don't work the dough too much. I use 2 cups of flour (use self rising if it's easier for you) 1/2 cup each butter and crisco, about a teaspoon salt. make sure you rub the fat in pretty good, no big chunks should be left. Then make a well in the mixture and add about a cup of buttermilk, stir until all the flour is wet, add a little more buttermilk as needed. Not too much though, you don't want it to be runny. Turn it out on to a floured surface, add enough flour to keep it from sticking to your hands and cut out the biscuits and place into your greased pan. Or you can drop the biscuits by the spoonful onto the pan. Bake at about 450° about 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Easy peasy! Start with a half batch if you want to get your technique down pat before doing a larger batch.
    @CooCooPuff @Alatariel75

Thank you! Copied and emailed to myself, ready for trying out on the weekend.
    I eagerly await the time when I can use the oven again. I'll definitely do half batch the first time around. I'm paranoid I'll work the dough too much.

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I will buy most things in a pinch, for convenience, but not

Egg beaters (WTF?! Just scramble an egg!)
    Pre-cooked rice
    Canned soup, except for clam chowder
    No canned pasta, full stop. Yuck.

Always buy, even though easy enough to make:

Bagged mixed salads
    Rotisserie chicken
    Lemonade (publix lemonade is good.)

Almost always buy bread instead of making it. Not always, but almost.

Mostly I avoid individually packaged items, to the despair of my children. I hate paying more and making more waste just to keep from having to, what, divide something into 4 servings? That is just silly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2017
    I cook most things from scratch...I'm a food snob so I find most prepared foods to be sub par.

That said, sometimes you just do what you gotta do...
  • vlnielsen519
    vlnielsen519 Posts: 75 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I cook beans of all kinds, chili, stews, hummus, pancakes, and roasts. All easy and all much cheaper from scratch. Oh, I also cut my own apple, pineapple, and watermelon for the same reason. Is a knife and a ziplock that hard?

Very hard from scratch so I let the industrio-transportation complex do all the work are butters, yogurt, breads, pasta and cheese.

But I'm working on my breads.

I have cooked dried beans many times and they never seem to turn out right. How do you cook your beans?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Anything I can make I buy only and only if its cheaper to buy and tastes as good as home made.

Do you factor in time too? There's a lot of things I can make but it's just not worth saving $1 if it's going to take me 1 hour and the store version is good enough.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Off of the top of my head I don't buy seasoning mixes, stock, soup, sauces, instant anything or pre-cut produce. A sharp knife and google was an eye opening experience - cooking most things from scratch really is quick and easy with a little practice. I'd love to see home ec make a come back to combat some of the convenience food marketing that reinforces the belief cooking has to be time consuming and expensive. Convenience food is great as an option but it's lousy that there's a whole generation of people who can't put together a healthy meal that tastes at least as good as a fast food dinner (or so it seems).

Canned beans, canned tomatoes, ground spices, mustards and processed meats are some things I still buy. I also buy the dressings/condiments my husband likes on hand but if I need a condiment or dressing for a meal I prefer to make my own.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Just remembered the one thing that make that I have not bought in years and probably will never buy again:

Pasta sauce -- tomato based (red) or cream (white).

Bottled pasta sauces are way too expensive for what you get ($3-4 or more per jar). For red sauce, all it takes is a large can of whole tomatoes (that I can buy for just $1), crush them by hand, smash, slice or mince some garlic, throw the garlic in a heated saute pan for a few secs, add the tomatoes, season as you prefer w/basil, oregano, "Italian seasoning" or whatever and cook it til the tomatoes are tender. Then add the pasta and you're done.

For white sauce, all you need is butter, cream and parmesan cheese (garlic and other seasonings optional) which tastes much better than anything in a jar. Just Google "alfredo" for a recipe.

Takes only a few mins to make either one.

The only pasta "sauce" I'd still buy (rather than make) is pesto sauce because the basil often is not available and the cost of making it can be a "push" (given the cost of basil, olive oil, pine nuts and pecorino or parmesean cheese) but making it always tastes better than pre-made.

• WendyMc71
    WendyMc71 Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2017
    I make and freeze my own veggie burgers now. I became addicted to these really great black bean ones from Costco... they were HUGE and one was enough for a meal, but they replaced them with an off-brand version I hate and I can't find any other store-bought kind that I like (they're all tiny and expensive). So I found/figured out a recipe that comes close, and now every six weeks or so I make and stockpile a dozen burgers for my husband and me. It is just about worth the time and effort, but just barely—like if Costco ever brought back the good burgers I'd go back to them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I cook beans of all kinds, chili, stews, hummus, pancakes, and roasts. All easy and all much cheaper from scratch. Oh, I also cut my own apple, pineapple, and watermelon for the same reason. Is a knife and a ziplock that hard?

Very hard from scratch so I let the industrio-transportation complex do all the work are butters, yogurt, breads, pasta and cheese.

But I'm working on my breads.

I have cooked dried beans many times and they never seem to turn out right. How do you cook your beans?

My daughter complains about the same thing. I soak overnight. Change the water to reduce flatulence. Cook, like, in my slow cooker until tender, not letting it get dry. It could take a couple hours. Then I use them like beans from the can and cook according to the recipe.

• Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Since being a "fully grown!!" I've always cooked from scratch my own pasta, curry or meat sauces rather than jar sauces. I also make my own spice mixes where possible.

Recently I've had to go gluten and dairy free which has encouraged me to also bake a lot more from scratch. So I make all my own soups, cook all my sauces from scratch now and bake any cake/puddings myself.

Conversely I do buy pre chopped veggies for some items, I buy things like hummus and nut butters that I know I could make myself but would never get round to it and I buy stock rather than taking the time to make my own! In an ideal world I'd love to do it all myself but my employer keeps insisting they don't pay me to do that!
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    I make all my own pasta sauces, because jarred stuff is awful and high-calorie.

I always buy stock cubes instead of making my own, because I don't have freezer space for stock.
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Definitely soups. Also bread, almond milk, guacamole, salsa, and beef jerky (although I still buy it from a jerky-specific store from time to time).

How do you make almond milk? (....wait googled - that's actually really easy and I have to start doing it). Do you make it straight or put vanilla or other stuff in?
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Pancake mix ! I just make my own with quick oats, Greek yogurt, flavor drops, egg whites, protein powder and sometimes add peanut butter
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

For white sauce, all you need is butter, cream and parmesan cheese (garlic and other seasonings optional) which tastes much better than anything in a jar. Just Google "alfredo" for a recipe.

I do something similar, it is so yummy! I don't even like store bought white sauces, never have. This recipe has saved me a lot of calories over the years by not going to a restaurant to have chicken alfredo.

http://damndelicious.net/2014/01/24/skinny-fettuccine-alfredo/
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Pasta sauce, canned chili, most frozen foods, TV dinners
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    I never buy canned soup, broth, pre-cooked meat (not including smoked meats), boxed meals, dinner kits, pre-chopped veggies, pre-cooked fruit

I do a lot of cooking and there is an endless list of things that I can make, but sometimes I chose to buy spaghetti sauce, Apple sauce, coconut milk, jam, corn tortillas, potato chips, potato salad, Mac salad, pickles, bread, cookies. I'm sure there's more......
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    count me in for making: hummus, chicken stock, roast/boiled chicken & salad dressing (hot sauce + vinegar does the trick for me!)

I still cave & buy stock if a recipe calls for just a small amount... & I'm 50/50 for making vs buying tomato sauce.
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    Flatbread and Corn Tortillas are things I used to buy but now that I know how easy they are to make, I make them so I can have them fresh.

I know how to make ice cream and sorbet but I buy it because it's a pain in the butt to make.