Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Struggling with Anorexia

13»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    I'm so glad you are getting the help. Let them care for you, let go and let God.
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Awwww...sweetie. So glad you came clean to your family. You got this and we're all behind you. All the best..you've taken the first step.
  • AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 120 Member
    jamocha101 wrote: »
    I love the input and help on this thread and it is amazing that you are getting help so early on. We are all rooting for you. However I see a lot of people saying they had anorexia when their lowest weight was above 17.5 BMI. Keep in mind to be diagnosed you have to be below 17.5. I think they are changing the weight criteria though which I am all for because it is more a mental disorder than a physical one. The physical is just the consequence.

Well, I can tell you what my doctor in inpatient told me, but heaven knows how much information varies from place to place.

She said that the criteria for the diagnosis has changed and that a person no longer has to be at a certain BMI in order to receive it; she said it is looked at as a mental condition, rather than a physical one, now more than ever. Therefore, anorexia nervosa can be diagnosed in a person who, although their mental condition has led to rapid weight loss, may still not be within the "anorexic BMI" (17.5 or lower) range.

She also said that EDNOS is a term that is no longer used in the medical field and that there are a variety of disordered behaviors that are attributed almost exclusively to cognitive function (or lack thereof), rather than physical manifestation. So a patient won't receive the diagnosis "EDNOS" just because they have anorexic behavioral patterns, but aren't at a low enough weight. It makes more sense to make the diagnosis before that weight is reached, so that it can be medically treated before it becomes more critical.

A different doctor in a different hospital might say otherwise, but this is what I was told.

This is very important to me and may be important for me to here. I lost 55 lbs in 3 months by restricting and exercising like a nut, and have been having similar mind set issues and I cannot say that I'm anorexic however, I've been having this sort of weight bouncing for years and my weight has ranged from obese to normal range since High School. I don't know what I'm doing. But anyway, good job finding help, keep pushing forward, and thanks for sharing your experiences.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Yes, they changed the weight criteria a few years ago for diagnosis, which is good. When I was a teen I had a very bad eating disorder and was on the 'pro-ED' sites (so toxic and dangerous) and many of the people there were aiming for that BMI to be considered 'sick enough.' It's very damaging. Also someone who naturally had a BMI of 19 doesn't have to lose as much to reach than BMI as someone who was 30 and dropped a lot of weight. BMI is not an indicator of health anyway.

OP--I had a good team that helped me recover 10 years ago. I had therapy, a nutritionist, and supportive friends. It's good they're gradually upping your intake as well, to help you get used to eating more.

I've been struggling with my appetite and disordered thinking since late January, but at 10 years older, I'm recognising the signs and triggers much earlier on. I have periods where my disordered thinking almost disappears, but if I get stressed, it rises up again. I am gentle with myself for a few weeks and usually the anxiety starts to ease.

I hope your treatment goes well and you are very strong to recognise you needed help. All the best. <3
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    How brave you are! I'm so happy you are doing the very hard work to get healthy - please keep us updated. We care about you. <3