Why do some people up here make it seem like eating fried foods are bad?

Options
dniania
dniania Posts: 251 Member
I've read through lots of posts over these past two weeks about food and a few are shaming sweets and fried foods and I feel like as long as I'm not over my calorie limit I'm okay... I try to eat right most of the time lol but since I've been on the app almost three weeks I've had pancakes,candy,potatoes chips,fried chicken and fish.. pizza...as well as healthy foods such as oatmeal ,eggs,salad,water vegetables I eat what I want as long as I don't go over ... I know abs are made in the kitchen so am I wrong for eating what I want as long as my calories are over and as long as I'm not eating after 8pm ...I want to lose weight the right way and so far i have gone over my calorie limit yet but I'm starting to feel like maybe I shouldn't eat what I want??

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat them because I find them to be atrocious. Doesn't mean they're going to wreck your weightloss assuming that they fit into your calorie goals for loss though.

One thing though: do still try to avoid stuff fried in trans fats. They're almost all but banished these days, but a few places do still use them.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're right, except for not eating after 8. Unless you have sleeping issues from eating late, there's no need to have a cutoff. Many people find it easier to reach their goals by eating more nutritious foods.

Calories are king. How you get there is up to you. I'm having garlic bread with dinner tonight and I'll still have room for some gelato for dessert.
  • dniania
    dniania Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right.

ETA- Meal timing doesn't matter... you can eat past 8.

Thank you :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    You are right except about the 8pm thing. There is nothing magic about what time the clock says.

Having said that...

I TRY to end my eating before 8pm simply because I sleep better if I haven't eaten for a couple of hours...especially foods that are on the heavier side.

Some people like shame others if others eat differently than they do. Make up your own mind about how you want to eat. Later on you might change some things...I certainly did.

I eat a really healthy diet for the most part...because I choose to. That doesn't mean that someone else has to make that choice.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There's some people who seem to thrive off of labeling foods good/bad, clean/unclean, 'junk' etc etc. Those people I tend to ignore because I think labeling food is arbitrary and also labeling is a slippery slope to an unhealthy relationship with food. However some foods like fried foods are fairly calorie dense, so if someone is recommending cutting back on fried foods, or foods that contain a lot of added sugar because they're calorie bombs, I think that's solid advice, especially when someone is trying to lose weight.

But OP it sounds like you're doing things the right way and are hitting your calorie targets so don't let others opinions get you down and just focus on rocking your own goals :)

Also-meal timing/frequency is a preference thing and doesn't matter in terms of weight loss, though I also don't eat in the evening because I tend to mindless snack/rack up calories very quickly.
  • TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I stay away from fried foods because I'm trying to get my cholesterol down. Losing weight is a secondary goal for me so I am more likely to choose from a list of foods that are known to lower cholesterol. I still eat the things you mentioned in your post, but they find their way to my mouth less often than they did 3 months ago.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I label them as bad because i can't eat them
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Fried food give me bad stomach pain
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Fried foods are OK but tend to be more calorie dense than a grilled or baked equivalent, so it really depends if you can fit those calories in your diary without sacrificing other nutritious foods.
  • md78245
    md78245 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fried foods = empty calories
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    md78245 wrote: »
    Fried foods = empty calories

No such thing as empty calories.

'cept, you know, sugar water. The phrase "empty calories", and I know you know, is meant to describe the absence of essential (not created in the human body) nutrients. Fried foods deliver some fat and properly chicken-fried anything includes milk, eggs, and flour along with the anything, a win for all macros.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    dniania wrote: »
    I've read through lots of posts over these past two weeks about food and a few are shaming sweets and fried foods and I feel like as long as I'm not over my calorie limit I'm okay... I try to eat right most of the time lol but since I've been on the app almost three weeks I've had pancakes,candy,potatoes chips,fried chicken and fish.. pizza...as well as healthy foods such as oatmeal ,eggs,salad,water vegetables I eat what I want as long as I don't go over ... I know abs are made in the kitchen so am I wrong for eating what I want as long as my calories are over and as long as I'm not eating after 8pm ...I want to lose weight the right way and so far i have gone over my calorie limit yet but I'm starting to feel like maybe I shouldn't eat what I want??

Fried foods and sweets are fine in moderation. However, as someone drops calories to lose weight they should also be especially concerned about getting adequate nutrients. In most cases this means someone on a lower calorie diet needs to somewhat restrict food items that are calorie dense and low nutritional value.

I took a look at your food log going back a week or so. Very fruits and vegetables were listed. You may want to up you intake of nutritionally dense foods like these and back off a bit on the more calorie dense items to get to your calorie goal. Because of the fiber in fruits and vegetables you may very well feel fuller on fewer calories while eating a more nutritious diet.

The following discusses recommendations for fruit and vegetable consumption:
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/usda-fruit-vegetable-recommendations-9339.html

Best of luck.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    dniania wrote: »
    I've read through lots of posts over these past two weeks about food and a few are shaming sweets and fried foods and I feel like as long as I'm not over my calorie limit I'm okay

While you may get slightly better weight loss/gain results by eating a healthy, balanced diet due to the effects certain foods will have on blood sugars, metabolism, etc. the short of it is that calories are still king when it comes to weight control. You will still lose/gain if you live off fried chicken and donuts as long as you stay within your calorie goals. Just be sure to account for the oil when eating fried foods. It is estimated that 8-25% of the oil used will be absorbed into your food. As far as the effects on one's health, that's an entirely different discussion and one that is rarely of any concern to most here. :neutral:

Not a good thing.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Nutrition timing matters if you are for example, going to train hard, empty calories do exist.
    But for your question, I mostly try to eat nutrient dense food, fried? Not really cos oil= around 114 calories per tbsp.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Lol, if you ain't had fried LUMPIA, you're missing out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png