Keto screw up rant and looking for Keto buddies!

Options
Hi everyone! I started Keto a week ago. I have been doing tons of research, bought three books and have been totally strictly committed. Today I stupidly ate corn on the cob, I forgot about corn actually being a grain and not a vegetable I was just thinking veggie. I have been staying at no more than 20 carbs a day and I just know I probably kicked myself out of Ketosis over corn! I'm just so sick about it. So I'm looking for fellow Keto friends to help get me through, share our progress and even yummy recipes!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Newbie here. What is wrong with corn? What is keto?
  • chelseabarnwell42
    chelseabarnwell42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    jmarie1025 wrote: »
    This group is where most of the keto-ers hang out! Great people and very knowledgeable and supportive.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Awesome Thank you!!
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    No longer being able to eat corn on the cob would make me so sad :(

A lot of things I've given up make me very sad lol but my results are so worth it! Google Ketogenic diet and read about it if you're interested! :smile:
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    A lot of the things I've given up have made me very sad, especially all sugar! The results I've had already make it so worth it! You guys should google Ketogenic diet but basically the diet causes your body to burn all the fat your body has stored. You are on a very strict Carb intake daily I can only have 20 carbs a day and the push healthy fats for the majority of your calorie intake and protein for the second biggest part.
  • chelseabarnwell42
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Newbie here. What is wrong with corn? What is keto?

Keto stands for Ketogenic diet. You should google it and see what all it is about I just think its awesome but basically the diet causes your body to burn all the fat your body has stored. You are on a very strict Carb intake daily I can only have 20 carbs a day and they push healthy fats for the majority of your calorie intake and protein for the second biggest part. So corn is not truly a vegetable it is a grain and it is loaded in carbs one ear of corn is almost 30 carbs so when I'm only allowed to have 20 carbs daily I totally blew my carb allowance. It made me mad because if I'm going to blow my carbs I would rather it be on something like cake haha
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options

A lot of things I've given up make me very sad lol but my results are so worth it! Google Ketogenic diet and read about it if you're interested! :smile:

I am sure the person you are responding to knows what a ketogenic diet is. The point was they don't see it as worth is since fat loss comes from a calorie deficit, and they can establish a calorie deficit even eating corn.

Thank you for your abrupt response. I'm not sure that they do know what a Ketogenic diet is. A lot of people have no idea what it is. I've explained it to many in the few days I have been following it. Yes there is a calorie deficit but that is only part of the equation when following the diet. She may not feel it is worth it and that is fine I just wanted to respond to her comment since she took the time to respond to my post. That is the polite thing to do.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Ahh, thank you!
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    A lot of the things I've given up have made me very sad, especially all sugar! The results I've had already make it so worth it! You guys should google Ketogenic diet but basically the diet causes your body to burn all the fat your body has stored. You are on a very strict Carb intake daily I can only have 20 carbs a day and the push healthy fats for the majority of your calorie intake and protein for the second biggest part.

This is incorrect. A caloric deficit is what makes your body burn fat. Specific macros don't, in an of themselves, "cause your body to burn fat". The most likely explanation for your success on keto is that your high protein diet is keeping you more satiated which is, in turn, making it easier for you to maintain a deficit. If you increased your caloric intake on keto to the point where you're no longer maintaining a deficit, you'd gain weight.

yes I limit myself to 1300 calories a day and if I ate over that I would start gaining weight. You have to limit your carb intake to 20 carbs for your body to go in ketosis if you eat too many carbs your body will not go into ketosis and eating too many carbs will take your body out of ketosis. so yes I realize that calorie restriction is important and it is a big part but so is limiting your carb intake not doing both will make you not successful on the Keto diet
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options

I'm actually several years into maintenance already. I know what keto is and it does sound like some people do well with it, but definitely not my cup of tea :)

no it is definitely not! No one in my life will even try to do it with me haha! :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I did low carb/keto for 4mths, I had to quit due to keto breath that did not want to go away! For me, Keto worked because it reduced my appetite and cravings so lowered my calories by default. It was definitely an easy way to lose weight.
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    I did low carb/keto for 4mths, I had to quit due to keto breath that did not want to go away! For me, Keto worked because it reduced my appetite and cravings so lowered my calories by default. It was definitely an easy way to lose weight.

Ive been worried about Keto breath! That would be a deal breaker for me too! Yes it is I have a five month old and a two year old and my husband works 50 hour weeks. I just don't have time to work out for hours every day and to me Keto is pretty simple to follow!