Love affair with sweets

Options
2»

Replies

• 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It has only been 3 weeks for me so far, but I am down 12-1/2 pounds. It has been kind of hard, but seeing the results helps. I have been limiting myself to 1 piece of dark chocolate each evening for staying with in my calorie goal for the day. I savor that little piece of chocolate, and really look forward to it.

Wow 12.5 lbs in one week! That's crazy. My weight is barely budging

No, 3 weeks. I started 1/1/17

That's still incredible weight loss at an average of 4lb/week

Well, I have a lot to lose (about 80 pounds total) and I have really stuck to my calorie budget. I know it will slow down.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya, sister! I love my dessert! I've been doing what @lemurcat12 does. I eat three larger meals in the 400 calorie range so I have 200-300 calories left over for something sweet to finish the day. I pre-log as much as a I can so I know what I'm working with -- and log any extras before I take a bite!

Frozen Dove chocolates and mini/fun sized candy bars are good. I'm an ice cream lover so I have a stock pile of Halo Top and Elightened. I also love Yasso Greek yogurt bars.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings for sweets:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Since I'm an abstainer, I can't offer any tips. However, I wanted to just add that I wish you the best in your efforts. I absolutely love sweets. That's my kryptonite. So, unless it's hormonally related, I abstain. Then when that hormonal time comes, I overindulge. YIKES!

However, since I eat at a slight deficit other times to make up for it, it hasn't impacted my weight.
  • sp1219
    sp1219 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have such a sweet tooth! I'm a chocoholic. For the past month, I've given up all refined sugars. I still eat fruit, vegetables, and dairy, but no sweets and hidden sources of sugar like bread or marinara sauce.

After about 4 days, my craving for sugar subsided. Now, my desert is an apple or pear, and fruit tastes much sweeter when I'm not eating refined sugar. Herbal tea does help me after meals too. While my desire for sweets may never go away, I'm trying to reprogram my sugar-loving taste buds.