When does exercise start giving you more energy?

Options
After a long bout of illness last year (fatigue/muscle aches/migraines) I've had enough energy to start (gently) exercising again in the last few weeks (at my GP's advice, being that more exercise = more energy). I've been walking 30-60 minutes a day, as well as a couple of half hour bike rides a week, yoga once a week and a light strength training once a week. The trouble is, my energy levels have not increased for weeks. For example, following a morning bike ride I feel drained for the rest of the day.. or following a weights session my muscles are tightened up for hours afterward and I wake up feeling like I've been hit by a bus, all from 5kg weights!)

I thought exercise was meant to make you more awake, not more tired than when you woke up?! I see other people that work out and they are full of beans, glowing, have clear eyes, great skin and they are always alert. They all say how great they feel all the time. I on the other hand have one measly little bean, my skin and hair is dull, my eyes ususally glassy/puffy and I'm as alert as a sloth. I do not feel great!

When do you start getting more energy from exercise?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    What's your hydration like? In other words, how much water do you drink?

How much are you eating - number of calories?
  • KeshNZ
    KeshNZ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What's your hydration like? In other words, how much water do you drink?

How much are you eating - number of calories?

I drink a minimum of 1 litre of water a day, and usually a couple of cups of herbal tea as well. I also have 1-3 coffees a day.

I'm not really accurately tracking my calorie intake properly at the moment (i.e. not weighing everything) but when I log it's usually 1500-1800 calories a day. I'm pretty good at guesstimating weights from working in the food industry for years so I'd say this number is fairly accurate. I am 5-10kg over my "ideal" weight but eating healthy food and fitness are more important to me than my weight right now.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    You may be doing this already, but when you finish a walk, bicycle ride, or whatever, have a glass of water. If you've been sweating, you may need a bit extra. Plus I find that a glass of cold water picks me up as much as coffee does.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Might I also suggest some coconut water. I often find during the summer or after a cold, when I've been sweating a lot or am dehydrated, water alone is not enough to get me feeling 100% human, and I need a few extra electrolytes to help me out. I recommend coconut water because it's a nice, natural alternative to Gatorade.
  • darbunk
    darbunk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, water is important. Try to hit 2 liters a day. This is closer to the standard recommendation (in the US). Seems like alot but remember every chemical reaction in your body is done in the presence of water.

Eating a certain number of calories is important but also eating at the right time and the right foods. I like to eat a small amount about 1-2 hours before any workout and as soon as possible after a workout. Something like a cup of Greek yogurt, banana or a handful of almonds is sufficient. Things that take longer to digest and keep your blood sugar from spiking then crashing.

Exercise is so good for you, so hopefully you will stick with it! Good luck!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Are you getting good sleep?

Have you had your thyroid, iron, b12 levels checked? Some things to consider.

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at your diary, but the first questions I would ask are whether you are getting enough water, enough fuel, and enough protein, and a sufficient variety of foods (esp vegs) to get all of the nutrients you need.

Your description of how you feel sounds like how I am if I do an extended hike without enough to drink and nibble on throughout the walk. There was a time when I was doing medium range hikes (6-8 miles) and only taking water with me, figuring I could eat when I got back. I found myself worn out. After that happening 4 times in a row, I decided to pack a banana and a pita bread. For me, those two items made all the difference in the world.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Not everyone gets more energy from exercise. If you are sure you aren't eating too few calories (you need to fuel your workouts well), are well hydrated, and sleep well, then you may be one of those people who don't get more energy from exercise. Personally, when I exercise I tend to compensate by moving less throughout the day. The harder the exercise the more pronounced this effect is, so I tend to stick to low or moderate intensity on most days, mostly low intensity walking most days and moderately low intensity jogging 3 or so times a week (heart rate no higher than 150) with only occasional speed work which usually leaves me drained.

To put it into perspective: without exercise I average 5-8k steps a day. When I do intervals of running at a higher and a lower speed for 30 minutes I take about 4000-4500 steps during the exercise, so logically my total steps should be 9-12.5k but I end up ranging between 6k and 8k, the faster my fast intervals are the lower my total steps end up and the more days I need to recover. For comparison, when I walk at a moderately slow pace for long periods heart rate no higher than 100 I end the day with an average of 15-20k steps and need a day of recovery only at the higher end.

If you walk/ride too fast, try to walk/ride slower and see if that solves the problem. You can very gradually ramp up the intensity later. If it doesn't solve it, ask your doctor to run some tests, you may have some deficiencies that could be affecting your energy. Can't help with strength training. I'm completely drained to a halt if I do it for any extended amount of time, so I only do the bare minimum.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    It might be more to do with the lasting effects of your illness. You've mentioned fatigue was one of the symptoms, it might take a while for that to go away. I think it's probably best to talk with your doctor more about it, especially if that's who suggested the exercise. S/he might have some thoughts about why that is and possibly how to combat it.

I often notice more energy after exercising, but also sometimes I feel worn out & drained, it just seems to depend on the day/is kind of random. Sometimes exercising gives me too much energy, and I'm hyper/exhausted at the same time (it's a bizarre experience and not very conductive to productivity).

I think everyone is different. I was told that exercising would help me sleep better, and that definitely didn't turn out to be true. But when I exercise regularly I have more overall umph to push through sleepless days, and feel better overall. That's why I like it and I'm focusing on regular exercise as a goal.

Good luck <3
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    NEVER only food can give you more sustained energy exercise can give you more endurance and capability
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    KeshNZ wrote: »
    After a long bout of illness last year (fatigue/muscle aches/migraines)
    From Overtraining (syndrome)? If so it may take awhile depend how big of a hole you dug and see a sport medicine physician.

Exercise high? Release of endorphins from exercising? Everyone is different. You just have to find the right intensity and duration.
  • KeshNZ
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    From Overtraining (syndrome)? If so it may take awhile depend how big of a hole you dug and see a sport medicine physician.

Exercise high? Release of endorphins from exercising? Everyone is different. You just have to find the right intensity and duration.

I'm not sure how a 30 minute walk, or a 30 minute gentle bike ride, or 10 minutes of light weight lifting could result in over training syndrome? I certainly don't feel I'm pushing myself too much when I exercise, in fact I'm quite conscious of keeping my heart rate down and stopping when I need to.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Overtraining in reference to "[a]fter a long bout of illness last year (fatigue/muscle aches/migraines)" not what your are currently doing.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »

I'm not sure how a 30 minute walk, or a 30 minute gentle bike ride, or 10 minutes of light weight lifting could result in over training syndrome? I certainly don't feel I'm pushing myself too much when I exercise, in fact I'm quite conscious of keeping my heart rate down and stopping when I need to.

I was also quite ill last year and dealt with a lot of fatigue and muscle aches (in addition to respiratory problems).
    It was not from "over training."
    There are many illnesses that could cause fatigue and muscle aches, even the common cold. There's nothing in the OP that would suggest the illness was from exercise.
    Anyway... It took me a few months from when I started feeling better, to when I felt "normal." (I wouldn't say energized as a result of exercise, but it felt the way it should have felt for me.) Take it slow and you'll get there!
  • KeshNZ
    Options
    I never got a diagnosis for my illness. My GP blamed stress, my psychologist blamed depression (which I don't agree with as I have dealt with both for years, this was psychical symptoms causing me distress, not the other way around). All my symptoms matched CFS but my GP pretty much brushed me off whenever I saw him about it. I was poked, prodded and tested for nearly a year and no results. My symptoms only started to lessen when I got my Mirena removed in December.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I drink too much fluid, but I wouldn't be able to function on 1litre and a couple of mugs of something. I drink more fluid than that by lunchtime. I carry fluid on walks and long runs too.

With a good mix of energy supportive foods, I'd just ease into the exercise and tone down the intensity until you can function afterwards, and build slowly from there. I find dried fruit or a protein bar or small shake, or even a banana pre exercise and protein afterwards stops me crashing.

You're recovering from illness, so give your body the time it needs to adapt. Good luck. I started C25K in the same situation as you. I persevered, and although I still don't have the energy levels I had before illness, I'm doing pretty good.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hydration and nutrition play a huge role. It's not just about counting calories.
    I found once I started taking in protein with 30 minutes post walk, it started helping. But getting the proper nutrition through a balanced diet also helped me tremendously.
  • KeshNZ
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all. I definitely don't want to give up on this. I want to get to a point where I have the stamina to do boot camp classes, or ride for a couple of hours without stopping, or hike for 4+ hours at a time.

Just one quick question, is cardio + yoga once a week enough for me right now? Can I do just these for a few weeks without doing weights? I'm finding weights really tire me out more than anything and struggle to do them at home. Surely it will be OK to focus on walking, cycling and yoga for now and then look into weight training in a few weeks time?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    When do you start getting more energy from exercise?

i had a bundle of thoughts while skimming the thread, so i'll just dump them all out there in no special order.

- the stuff you described sounds like me during that phantasmagoric year before my rheumatoid arthritis got diagnosed. i just could not understand why none of the stuff that i was doing worked. i thought i was losing my mind. so of course i could be projecting, but i can't help thinking about immune disorders. of which there seem to be a thousand and one to choose from.

- as of these days, i still don't get all that much 'energy' from exercise. sometimes, yeah; but only on the rare now-and-then occasions. most of the time it seems to affect my stamina levels more than my 'energy'. different things, to me. energy is like weather, and stamina is more like climate, if that makes sense. so yeah; i can be 'healthy' and all that, but my bean count is usually pretty low too. comparing myself to other people just makes for craziness.

Surely it will be OK to focus on walking, cycling and yoga for now and then look into weight training in a few weeks time?

without knowing what the issue is, i'm still kind of inclined to say yes. i lift, and i love doing it. but at the same time i guess i feel like it's not as 'mandatory' as its current popularity sometimes makes it appear. and in any case, even that is a sort of best-case-scenario kind of mandatory. it's great if you CAN do it and if you're in a physical condition where your body will benefit. if you're not in that specific group, then no point in making yourself do it. again, i may be over-extrapolating from my r.a., but ime sometimes there are reasons why doing stuff makes me tired. and the reason is that i shouldn't be doing it right at that time.

• KeshNZ
    Options
    Thanks canadianlbs. It's hard to not get caught up in the whole 'you need to be doing this, this and this to be healthy'. Personally I think health is a journey. Taking on a whole health program all at once has never helped me, I've always ended up burned out. My big lesson has been to learn to take my time, and take baby steps the the ultimate goal (which for me is 30+ minutes of cardio a day, yoga 2-3 times a week and weight training 2-3 times a week, as well as eating wholesome foods and only drinking on weekends).