Replies

• brittcody
    brittcody Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    brittcody wrote: »
    spiveaa wrote: »
    What kind of work out regime are you doing? I see you follow bodybuilding.com, which is good, but what is you routine you are doing? You can PM if needed

I do 45 minutes of moderate/high intensity cardio and then go back a few hours later and lift for about an hour, daily.

Ok, what I mean, is what type of routine are you doing when you go in the gym to try and gain the muscle. Are you doing a whole body workout, certain parts on certain days, reps, sets, etc..?

I rotate certain parts daily. So today was chest. Bench 3 sets multiple reps, incline 3 sets multiple reps, decline 3 sets multiple reps, bench dumbbell 3 sets multiple reps, and so on targeting different body parts daily.

you might want to look into a structured plan, strong lifts, strong curves, new rules etc etc

And where might one find such a structured plan? lol
  • lnels634
    lnels634 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My daughter was in your same situation, though she started a little heavier. She started eating healthier, gave up booze and bread, and watched her portions and lost 100 lbs in little over year. When she got near her target weight, then she started lifting and upping her protein intake. Now she is 130 lbs. and is seriously 'ripped'. For now, focus on diet (1200-1500 cal) and cardio and save the serious lifting for later.
  • brittcody
    Options
    lnels634 wrote: »
    My daughter was in your same situation, though she started a little heavier. She started eating healthier, gave up booze and bread, and watched her portions and lost 100 lbs in little over year. When she got near her target weight, then she started lifting and upping her protein intake. Now she is 130 lbs. and is seriously 'ripped'. For now, focus on diet (1200-1500 cal) and cardio and save the serious lifting for later.

That's amazing, good for her! I'd like to take alot of this advice and maintain the muscle I have while continuing to lose fat and eat at my target macros for the day. I need more patience in my life and on this journey. My motivation definitely comes from my monthly progress pictures where I can actually see where the inches are coming off and where the toning is taking place. Slow and steady.
  • lnels634
    lnels634 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    tngp8im4qrvr.jpg
    Click on picture at left for proof of my statement above. She is 40 years old.
  • brittcody
    Options
    tngp8im4qrvr.jpg
    Click on picture at left for proof of my statement above. She is 40 years old.

She looks amazing!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What kind of work out regime are you doing? I see you follow bodybuilding.com, which is good, but what is you routine you are doing? You can PM if needed

I do 45 minutes of moderate/high intensity cardio and then go back a few hours later and lift for about an hour, daily.

Ok, what I mean, is what type of routine are you doing when you go in the gym to try and gain the muscle. Are you doing a whole body workout, certain parts on certain days, reps, sets, etc..?

I rotate certain parts daily. So today was chest. Bench 3 sets multiple reps, incline 3 sets multiple reps, decline 3 sets multiple reps, bench dumbbell 3 sets multiple reps, and so on targeting different body parts daily.

you might want to look into a structured plan, strong lifts, strong curves, new rules etc etc

And where might one find such a structured plan? lol

google 'stonglifts', 'stong curves' 'new rules of lifting'
  • TavistockToad
    Options

OP doesnt need to eat as little as 1200-1500 cals in order to lose weight. or 'save' lifting till later
  • jasminebutler56
    jasminebutler56 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this group.
  • brittcody
    Options

OP doesnt need to eat as little as 1200-1500 cals in order to lose weight. or 'save' lifting till later

I don't think I'd survive on as little as 1200 calories a day. After all the research I've done, I definitely understand that putting my body into starve mode will do little to nothing for me if I want to achieve fat loss and muscle gain. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat or gag down my protein, but I do it because I know my body needs it. I also don't want to go backwards and lose all the muscle I've worked so hard to gain over the past two and a half months. I appreciate the feedback and am glad to hear I can still do both, I'll just need to be more patient with the results.
  • rdouma73
    rdouma73 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    OMG. Please do not "save lifting for later" a combination of cardio and weight training is what required to transform your body. No weight training means muscle loss and muscle burns fat. You look great by the way Britt.
  • brittcody
    Options
    rdouma73 wrote: »
    OMG. Please do not "save lifting for later" a combination of cardio and weight training is what required to transform your body. No weight training means muscle loss and muscle burns fat. You look great by the way Britt.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I feel like my body has a long way to go to get it to where I want it. I definitely won't be waiting on lifting lol
  • cprovenghi
    cprovenghi Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio is good for burning fat. As far as diet is concerned, i recommend increasing protein minimizing fat and low carbs.
  • k2theSo
    k2theSo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Fat loss-specific question: Do I necessarily have to do slower cardio to be in a "fat burning zone"? I'm no gazelle but apparently I run at a 4-6% fat burning zone. I'm trying to restrict weightlifting to functional training during an injury rehab but I'd like to trim down fat just a tad.
  • douglasjmarvel
    douglasjmarvel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great article. I had actually just mentioned this to my fiancé today. About maybe putting lifting on hold until I got down to a comfortable weight. Maybe just focusing on cutting fat and then focusing on toning once I'm at a decent weight.

Don't put lifting on hold! Cardio trains the heart and lungs, and you don't want to leave the rest untrained. Plus, lifting burns calories, and the stimulus tells your body to keep the muscle tissue (longer) in a calorie deficit. Muscle is very expensive calorically, so the more you have, the higher your resting metabolic rate is.

Few people can make real strength gains while cutting. You will eventually plateau with until you enter a calorie surplus again, but that doesn't mean you should stop lifting!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    cprovenghi wrote: »
    Fasted cardio is good for burning fat. As far as diet is concerned, i recommend increasing protein minimizing fat and low carbs.

OP ignore this
  • MrHillman22
    MrHillman22 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Lifting is great for burning calories. Don't listen to the other stories of "lifting makes me bulky". Diet makes you bulky, plus lifting is much more fun than bouncing on a treadmill for 45 mins