Ate 1400 cals OVER maintenance and gained 2lbs!?!?

Options
Seriously… it was glorious! Homemade lasagna and tiramisu for lunch (didn't know my brother could cook…), lamb steak and butternut squash risotto with pomegranate, cabbage salad with an orange vinaigrette and fruit salad with heavy cream (for dinner), not to mention that really yummy alcohol-free prosecco my brother dug up from somewhere… still drooling…

Those 2lbs gained? Probably not fat. Actually… almost certainly not fat… Wanna know why?

Here's some numbers:

Net calories for the week (nope, not very good at sticking to my daily cals… but as long as it's below maintenance I'm not going to bother):
Mon 16.01: 1683
Tue 17.01: 1560
Wed 18.01: 1701
Thu 19.01: 1843
Fri 20.01: 1423
Sat 21.01: 1753
Sun 22.01: 3296 !!! my record since logging my food

7 day net average: 1894
Daily net goal: 1440
Sedentary maintenance: 1940

See that 7 day net average? Still below my sedentary maintenance… Not by a whole lot, granted, but it's still below.

About those added work out calories
My (for calories) work out is usually 60 minutes on an elliptical, 3 times a week (I'm female, 35 years old, 170cm, 85kg - well 86kg this morning… - in case you're wondering and want to try and run the numbers yourself):

Home elliptical: 853 cals burned! Yeeehaw imagine all that food!
MFP Database: 770 cals burned! Still a nice bit of food there, maybe an extra serving of tiramisu?
Fitbit: 693 cals burned! Okay… still a nice bit of food there…
Gym elliptical: 475 cals burned! Erm… where did those nice numbers go?

And… erm… what do I log? I'd love to say I burned over 800 cals doing 60 minutes on an elliptical getting my heart rate up to over 160. But is that realistic? Sadly, probably not. So I went with the extremely conservative estimate the gym equipment gives me and count any surplus as bonus to combat logging errors. This also means that I'm probably short changing myself on the cals I could eat, which is another reason I'm not too worried about my bad habit to go over my daily allowance. Currently, I'm losing as expected, so the numbers seem to be where they should be.

So what does that one day of overeating mean for my weight?
Short term? More salt and carbs than normal means added water weight. More food means more waste in my intestines. Ergo, 2lbs more on the scale this morning.

Long term? It'll take me maybe 1 week longer to get to my goal. Considering that an optimistic estimate means I'll get to goal in January 2018 and a pessimistic one January 2019… 1 week is absolutely negligible.

And what's my point now?
Enjoy life when it happens. Weekends like this? They're an exception, but they do happen and they will keep on happening, probably more often when I finally get to full time maintenance. Did I log perfectly? Probably not, all of my entries were guesstimates since I was out and about. The probability is high that I'm off by as much as 500 cals. Yet, if I go back to my calculations, it would still only put me at maintenance for the week…

I'm not going to punish myself over yesterday. I don't regret a single bite of the food I had; it was delicious. I'm not going to add more workouts to my week (currently: 3x 60 min elliptical and 2x 30 min strength training) because my body can't do more just now and I risk injury or worse if I try to force myself. I might sneak in an added walk or two over lunch time, but that's about it.

I'm not going to cut my calories further; it's already hard enough balancing my body's needs and my desire to lose weight.

I'm just going to smile and remember how good everything tasted.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your food baby.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Congrats on your food baby.

Hihi. It's a lot smaller than I had figured to be honest. I was expecting a good 4lbs truth be told. :wink:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,628 Member
    Options
    And start using a trending weight web site or app! You will be happy to see the downward swoop :smile:
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    And start using a trending weight web site or app! You will be happy to see the downward swoop :smile:

Gah... I knew I forgot to add something!

s0g11x3uj20g.png
    (using trendweight.com)

Guess where Christmas/New Years was :tongue: