Mfp goal settings

Options
Hi
I used mfp years ago on and off and failed to log consistently
However I want to now stick to it to try and get rid of my excess weight.
When setting my goals I entered that I do 3 workouts per week at 60 min each and I want to lose 0.5kg so I got my calories.
However I'm confused as to whether I still need to use my fit bit? I always get confused with the net calories etc? If I exercised with fit bit would that not simply add on more calories to my daily goal despite mfp including it in my daily goal ( if that makes sense )
Or shall I stick to the goal mfp gave and not use fit bit? I started a gym recently and teaching 2 dance classes so I am much more active as I need to practice the dance routine and my class is a 1 hour class. Gym I tend to go 3 days a week minimum for just under 2 hours. I'm a mum of 2 so I am on my feet most of day.
Please can anyone explain in simple terms.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    MFP does not include exercise it figuring out your calories. The goals you set are just that, goals.

Your Fitbit is going to bring MFP up to your true activity level. Mine is set to lightly active, but I have a pretty active job where I regularly hit 10,000+ steps. I get credit for the calories I burn past what MFP believes I burn at maintenance, and then I eat some of those calories back and still lose at close to my intended rate of loss.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    No but I input my exercise when I set my goals I selected exercise 3 times a week for 60 mins
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    No but I input my exercise when I set my goals I selected exercise 3 times a week for 60 mins

MFP doesn't use those exercise goals at all when calculating calories. You could have put 6 times a week for 340 minutes and you would have gotten the same result. Activity level and desired rate of loss settings do change the calorie goal given but your exercise goals do not.

The place that does count for calories when you put in exercise is the exercise diary. You need to put in exercise just like you put in food or have a device synced to do that for you. Some users feel that the exercise calories are overestimated so they only eat 50% or so of them back.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ohok thankyou so much for clearing that I wasn't aware. So I could maybe try eating back 50% of the calories my fit bit sends to mfp and see how I go.x
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good approach. Good luck!