Help me switch from yo-yo dieting to maintainance

I am in my 30s, 5'4", F and do 5 hours+ moderate intensity exercise a week. I have been losing and gaining weight (with swings of 5-15 kg ~ 0.5-2.5 stone) since I first left home over 10 years ago. I know how to lose weight (eat 1500 calories a day). I even know how to eat healthily. Regardless of whether I am gaining, or losing weight, the meals that I generally eat contain lots of vegetables, real foods, wholegrains, no added sugar etc., e.g:
  • breakfast: weetabix and milk
  • lunch: jacket potato with beans, or a (homemade, wholewheat) sandwich with fruit
  • dinner: vegetable chilli and rice
  • snacks: veggies and hummus, natural yoghurt
  • drinks: tea, water
My diet has improved so much over the past 10 years. I have found that the key is finding, and learning how to cook, healthy foods that I really enjoy. At first eating healthily felt like a chore, but now I don't crave the unhealthy foods that I used to make at all, because the food I cook tastes so much better. Where I fall down is in sticking to just those foods. I find it hard to not eat pastries, cakes and toast. I am not saying that I don't allow any unhealthy food to pass my lips. I have pizza, chocolate, cookies, or whatever in moderation. But I don't know how to eat things like pastries, cake and toast moderately.

I have never manged to maintain. I just reach my goal weight and then bounce back up. The only thing that is changing is that when I lose weight, I eat the sort of meals that I outlined above, and when I gain I eat the same, but have a pastry for elevenses, a brownie at my afternoon coffee break and/or a round of toast after dinner. I really want to get to a point where I can just eat normally, without having to log, or expend all my willpower on not having a pastry.

I have made so much progress, but am always undone by this one issue and I just don't know how to approach it any more.

Replies

• sarah_a_t
    sarah_a_t Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks Tahxirex. I find it really important to keep unhealthy foods out of the house. That alone made so much difference to my life.

I could probably stand to add jam for my toast to my list of things I don't keep in the house (bread is kind of a staple though). But almost all of this snacking happens outside the house. Grabbing pastries on the way to/from work, or cakes from the office cafeteria/vending machine.

It is exactly as you say though, I am struggling to keep these foods from becoming routine once I reach my goal weight.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    sarah_a_t wrote: »
    I have never manged to maintain. I just reach my goal weight and then bounce back up. The only thing that is changing is that when I lose weight, I eat the sort of meals that I outlined above, and when I gain I eat the same, but have a pastry for elevenses, a brownie at my afternoon coffee break and/or a round of toast after dinner. I really want to get to a point where I can just eat normally, without having to log, or expend all my willpower on not having a pastry.

I have made so much progress, but am always undone by this one issue and I just don't know how to approach it any more.

Define what is eating normally? 60 to 70 % of grown adults are obese or overweight in most countries. If you view what others eat as normal, you will weight what they weight too.

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    There are some foods that some people simply cannot moderate and they choose to cut these foods out.

If you want to try to moderate your intake of these foods maybe try further limiting consumption? For example, instead of having a cake or pastry everyday you can have one once a week?
  • sarah_a_t
    sarah_a_t Posts: 10 Member
    Hi everher. I find that cutting them out entirely leads to binges. I will try your idea of scheduling them as a once a week treat to prevent that. It would still be difficult to limit myself, but at a certain point I guess I have to just suck it up and stop snacking.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    <strong>I have never manged to maintain. I just reach my goal weight and then bounce back up</strong>

it sounds like you haven't figured out what your maintenance calories are - that after you reach your goal weight, you increase your food back up to pre-diet proportions which means you put the weight back on

but your profile is private and diary isn't open - which means, it will be harder for people to provide you any inputs on what you could tweak to help you with your issues
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,733 Member
    I struggle with similar issues. I love sweets and don't want to give them up completely. When I am losing weight, I am good at making them only occasional indulgences, usually after a hard workout or in place of a regular meal so they are within my calorie allowance. When I am not actively trying to lose weight, they become more frequent. Ice cream once a week becomes ice cream almost every day. Same for cookies or chocolate. A donut/muffin/cinnamon roll once a month becomes a weekly treat. And the pounds creep back. I've become good at monitoring my weight, so I catch the weight gain before it gets to be a problem, but I'd rather just not gain in the first place. I know what I need to do. I just need to do it. It's not a treat if it's every day.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    This is a different approach, but maybe find lower calories substitutes for those foods you love and add them back in as you raise your calories to maintenance. Lenny and Larry cookies (small size) or weight watchers brownies, Yasso pops, Greek whipped cake yogurt, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    Would it be possible to target a certain number of "special" snacks (like the pastries) weekly or something so that they fit into your maintenance calorie budget, and make sure you have more nutrient-dense or low-cal snacks handy on the other days, so you can have a snack without going overboard?

It might require logging for a bit longer (I'm sensing that you might like to stop logging eventually), in order to work out this kind of budget, so that you hit a weekly goal rather than a daily goal.

Personally, I carry snacks with me (in my car, sometimes gym bag or purse) that I can turn to when I get hungry. It can be things that don't require refrigerating and that keep long-term, like dry-roasted soybeans or nuts, or individual mini-packs of olives, crispy chickpeas, etc. When convenient, I might slip a couple of snacks in a small insulated bag with a tiny ice pack instead - things like mini-cheese or string cheese, veggies & hummus or whatever.

I also give myself a calorie target on routine days that's a couple of hundred under maintenance calories, so I can eat a bigger meal sometimes when out for a social dinner (for instance). You might be able to use a similar strategy to create some room for the sweet snacks you enjoy, on an occasional basis.

I hear you saying that you generally enjoy your healthy way of eating, and don't want to change that, but perhaps if you took an analytical look at your diary, you could find some swaps you could make to get good nutrition and satisfaction on slightly fewer calories, to create a budget for the occasional splurge on pastry or the like.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    It sounds like it may be a comforting "routine" or habit that you miss the most. It is something to look forward to and you get pleasure from that. Chocolate does that for me. I cannot have it in the house or stop and buy it. I have used a replacement chocolate protein bar when I feel that urge coming on. Don't love them enough to binge on. But, if you do love those pastries and feel that you cannot eliminate them, try to box it in like another poster recommended. First Fridays or hump day, etc. Or, is there another habit to replace it with i.e. sugar free hot chocolate on the way to work, crispy thin bread toast with a teaspoon of peanut butter to fill you up?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,868 Member
    I could have written your post Sara. This is my third time losing weight on MFP, and I've yo-yo'd 25 pounds for 45 years! Way before aps and counters, when your clothes and mirror and scale (if you had one) told the story.

The new normal is to never stop what you're doing. Add a few hundred calories, move past the occasional slip knowing it won't be the end of the journey, and never trust yourself to eat a healthy portion of cake or pastries. That's my new world at any rate. We can master this maintenance thing. But, it takes work!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    The only difference between losing and maintenance is a few hundred calories per day. Continue logging your food and adjust your calorie goal upwards 100 calories at a time. The reality for many of us is that we have had to change the way we eat for the rest of our lives. We may not "want" to be that restrictive, but we also don't "want" to get fat again. One of my favorite quotes:
    "Losing weight is hard.
    Maintaining weight is hard.
    Staying overweight is hard.
    Choose your hard."