Fitbit help needed

Options
Is there anyway to stop fitbits syncing with mfp?
I have started wearing mine again today and have walked about 6000 steps. This has added an extra 1000 calories to my allowance on mfp which is ridiculous!
My usual steps is taken into account anyway with mfp. I'm having to calculate how many calories I have left and it is just generally really irritating.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    First thing - your FitBit compares your stated activity level in MFP to your actual activity. You will get smaller adjustments for a higher stated activity level in MFP.

Second thing - is this 1000 calories for a 24 hour day? FitBits go from Midnight to Midnight. All of the numbers need to catch-up. You won't be burning many calories when you sleep.

Different FitBits have different reliability methods with different forms of exercise & with MFP. Check out the group for info on your specific model. Give everything a little time to work out. MANY people here find FitBits reliable. There's a learning curve.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • fourtherecord
    fourtherecord Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you! The 1000 calories seemed to be from my activity (steps) but it is obviously too much. Mfp os saying I had burned 945 calories from 'exercise' when I haven't burned any!
    I should have about 900 of my 1400 calories left but mfp is saying I have 1700 left! That would bring me over my tdee.

I'll check out the link you posted, thank you
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1000 cals for 6000 steps is far too much. That should put you a couple hundred calories over sedentary, but that's it. So, something's wrong.

Which FitBit model do you have? One with HR monitor? If so, how long did it say you'd spent in the "fat burning zone" for the day? How many calories did FitBit think you burned in the whole day?

Answers to some of those questions might let us figure out whether the issue is FitBit overestimating your burn (as it can do for people with high resting heart rates) or some sort of syncing issue.
  • fourtherecord
    fourtherecord Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It is a basic fitbit, so does not have a hrm. I am happy to ignore what it says, but is annoying when synced with mfp.
    I like the little thing when you finish logging about how much weight you would lose as a motivational tool after a good day which I wont have (correctly) now. Also I am going to have to calculate my calories left which is annoying, instead of just reading it
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just unlink them. It is done in the same place where you linked them. Just go in and click unlink or whatever it says. I had to do that with mine.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    First thing - your FitBit compares your stated activity level in MFP to your actual activity. You will get smaller adjustments for a higher stated activity level in MFP.

Second thing - is this 1000 calories for a 24 hour day? FitBits go from Midnight to Midnight. All of the numbers need to catch-up. You won't be burning many calories when you sleep.

Different FitBits have different reliability methods with different forms of exercise & with MFP. Check out the group for info on your specific model. Give everything a little time to work out. MANY people here find FitBits reliable. There's a learning curve.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
    read this