12346»

Replies

• ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    mweckler wrote: »
    Find a best friend that can txt you every day and make sure you're sticking to your goal. Also someone who can have lunch with you to make sure you're not going out and cheating, it would be a plus if they normally eat healthy foods so they already know where to go and what to get.

Sadly most people who suffer with Binge Eating Disorder can check in with people a million times a day, but that does not mean anything. For myself I lied to so many people then ate things in secret shame. I got busted once leaving a store and wolfing down doughnuts in my car, and was seen by one of my wife's co-workers who told my wife. I was supposed to be on a diet at the time so she sends me a text asking how the doughnut was I told her I only had one, when in reality I ate 4. So it is much harder to diet and lose weight when your own mind is working against you.

Yep. NOTHING really stopped my compulsion to binge until I was finally given a prescription for a medication to treat it. I did all the little tips in this thread, plus Overeaters Anonymous, therapy, every kind of diet imaginable, installed locks on my fridge and gave the keys to my family, carried no money or credit cards with me so I couldn't buy food - you name it. Didn't work. I might would stop for a short time, but only temporarily.

Unless a person actually has BED, they probably can't really understand how incredibly powerful it is. There is a big difference between having BED and simply having poor eating habits. The shame, frustration, hopelessness, and despair that comes with BED can be absolutely overwhelming. This medication is a miracle to me - now I know how a normal person feels, not continually having to fight my own brain with all my might to not gorge myself into an early grave, which is exactly what was happening, because this disorder took a deadly toll on my health.

For the first time since I have been on MFP, someone's post has made me tear up. This post really touched my heart. I can sense how much pain you were feeling. I am so glad the medicine is helping you.

Thank you! I'm so glad it's helping me too and I hope others who are struggling will seek medical help, because it is out there! I finally saw a bariatric doctor and he is the first one who ever even told me that this could be treated pharmaceutically. I had very little faith that it would work - I was pretty much astonished when all of a sudden, that old powerful compulsion to binge just faded away. The life-destroying monster defeated, at long last, through the miracle of modern medicine. Who woulda thought? :-)

Of course, there is still a lot of work to be done to correct the damage to my body, but there's finally hope now that the compulsion has been lifted - and I'm not having any trouble staying consistently within my calorie limit now. Nothing short of miraculous, to me!

How long have you taken the medication? How long after taking it did you get better ? I'm happy for you.

I'm on my fourth week and I felt a difference within just a couple days, but it's gotten stronger over the course of time. I don't know if it was just the excitement at first or if it kicked in right away, but I've not had any binges at all since I started the medication and only two episodes of slight overeating.

I used to binge massively on sweets and I'm diabetic, so that was very dangerous, and I haven't done that a single time since I started on the medication. That's a miracle - but the even bigger miracle is that I haven't even thought about doing it! It's not like I'm holding myself back - the medicine somehow re-routes that desire and dissipates it or tricks my brain into thinking it has already happened or something. I'm not sure how it works, but a friend who takes medication for alcoholism believes it must work along the same lines possibly. All I know is that it is amazing, in my experience.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here have advice on how to stop doing this?

I have came back to mfp after regaining the weight I lost on here last year for my wedding. I always end up giving in after I binge and then feel totally demoralised.

I am 2 weeks in atm, I had one binge the first week but still lost 5lb. This week I had three ☹. I skipped the weigh in at work this morning as I didn't want to see if I had gained.

It just feels like I am never going to be able to lose the weight and keep it off when I can't cut out the binges.

Is it possible that the foods you are choosing are triggering binges?? I did not read through all the comment, sorry it this is repetitive.

I am a life long binger, and I remember my first one at age 7. It was toast. I'm currently 46 and been fighting back against my binges through MFP since March 2015. I have not been consistent. I have months of doing fantastic, then months of completely falling off the wagon. I have lost 45lbs and regained 35lbs in the past 2 years.

BUT, I have found one thing that has worked for me; elimination diets. I've created my own and have used whole30. Currently on my second whole30. For whatever reason the "rules" help me. I still have the urge to eat crap but I can resist because the whole foods really fill me up. My husband is doing the whole30 with me this time around in hopes of being able to do a success reintroduction of potential trigger foods. It's hard, and it's ok that it's hard. I'm worth it. You have to embrace that mentality. Or risk riding the hamster wheel of loss and regain.

Embarrassment........oh, we all know what that feels like!! We are easy targets for the cruel, small minded people of the world. Learn tunnel vision, focus on your goals and push aside people that are sabotaging your efforts.

I don't know what will help you, all I have is my story. Explore new ideas, see what works for you. Just never give up fighting back against the binges. Never give up HOPE that you can stand again to fight another day. I promise you, you are worth all the hard work <3

• ActionAnnieJXN
    Options
    I've been taking mine for three weeks and I noticed a difference an hour after taking it. Focus is better. Your brain doesn't spend its time doing laps around the food court. On rest days when I am home and have nothing to do it's so much easier to just tell myself I'm bored and go get a bottle of flavoured water. My psychiatrist said that it's meant to be that way. Just take the edge off. So that it's easier for you to then make a choice instead of "forced" or compelled.

Yes! That's exactly what it's like! Like I can tell myself what I am going to eat today and actually do it instead of being bossed around by some mysterious inner force that I can't control.
  • trastoinutil
    trastoinutil Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've read some of the answers. They are right, it is a mental disorder and best thing to do is to get some profesional help.
    That being said, I struggle with this too. You can even see it in my diary, I have started tracking my binges. And I have come to some conclusions:
    -Restriction for more than three weeks leads to a binge.
    -Forgiving myself for binging allows me not to binge the next day.
    -Blaming myself and restricting harder after the binge leads to binge restrict cycle.
    -Keeping a diary of my thoughts and feelings about binging is helping me to better understand the causes.

In general, dieting and excessive thoughts about food are the main cause for binging.

I wish I could help you, but I can't even help myself. I do wish you all the best and I hope you get well and get over this illness.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Find a best friend that can txt you every day and make sure you're sticking to your goal. Also someone who can have lunch with you to make sure you're not going out and cheating, it would be a plus if they normally eat healthy foods so they already know where to go and what to get.

Sadly most people who suffer with Binge Eating Disorder can check in with people a million times a day, but that does not mean anything. For myself I lied to so many people then ate things in secret shame. I got busted once leaving a store and wolfing down doughnuts in my car, and was seen by one of my wife's co-workers who told my wife. I was supposed to be on a diet at the time so she sends me a text asking how the doughnut was I told her I only had one, when in reality I ate 4. So it is much harder to diet and lose weight when your own mind is working against you.

Yep. NOTHING really stopped my compulsion to binge until I was finally given a prescription for a medication to treat it. I did all the little tips in this thread, plus Overeaters Anonymous, therapy, every kind of diet imaginable, installed locks on my fridge and gave the keys to my family, carried no money or credit cards with me so I couldn't buy food - you name it. Didn't work. I might would stop for a short time, but only temporarily.

Unless a person actually has BED, they probably can't really understand how incredibly powerful it is. There is a big difference between having BED and simply having poor eating habits. The shame, frustration, hopelessness, and despair that comes with BED can be absolutely overwhelming. This medication is a miracle to me - now I know how a normal person feels, not continually having to fight my own brain with all my might to not gorge myself into an early grave, which is exactly what was happening, because this disorder took a deadly toll on my health.

For the first time since I have been on MFP, someone's post has made me tear up. This post really touched my heart. I can sense how much pain you were feeling. I am so glad the medicine is helping you.

Thank you! I'm so glad it's helping me too and I hope others who are struggling will seek medical help, because it is out there! I finally saw a bariatric doctor and he is the first one who ever even told me that this could be treated pharmaceutically. I had very little faith that it would work - I was pretty much astonished when all of a sudden, that old powerful compulsion to binge just faded away. The life-destroying monster defeated, at long last, through the miracle of modern medicine. Who woulda thought? :-)

Of course, there is still a lot of work to be done to correct the damage to my body, but there's finally hope now that the compulsion has been lifted - and I'm not having any trouble staying consistently within my calorie limit now. Nothing short of miraculous, to me!

How long have you taken the medication? How long after taking it did you get better ? I'm happy for you.

I'm on my fourth week and I felt a difference within just a couple days, but it's gotten stronger over the course of time. I don't know if it was just the excitement at first or if it kicked in right away, but I've not had any binges at all since I started the medication and only two episodes of slight overeating.

I used to binge massively on sweets and I'm diabetic, so that was very dangerous, and I haven't done that a single time since I started on the medication. That's a miracle - but the even bigger miracle is that I haven't even thought about doing it! It's not like I'm holding myself back - the medicine somehow re-routes that desire and dissipates it or tricks my brain into thinking it has already happened or something. I'm not sure how it works, but a friend who takes medication for alcoholism believes it must work along the same lines possibly. All I know is that it is amazing, in my experience.

That's awesome. How often did you used to binge?
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    Options

That's awesome. How often did you used to binge?

It varied. When I was in the worst depths of it, it would be every single day. Then other times, I could use some control strategies and white-knuckled restraint and refrain for maybe a week or two, but it was like this internal pressure would build up until I gave in and binged again. Then it would usually take me several days to gather the strength to pull myself back together and stop, only for the cycle to start all over all. And this went on for over thirty years. It was exhausting and I forfeited a lot of health and happiness because of it.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When u were dieting for your wedding did u have these regular binges then? I only ask because I find I binge when lacking motivation, a wedding is for most people a huge motivation. Now the weddings been and gone so maybe your struggling for something to aim for? I am a bridesmaid this summer and nothin got me more motivated than the thought of bein the fattest bridesmaid.....I got my *kitten* in gear and lost the first 40lbs easily...no binges....I barely even felt hungry those first few months.
    Try to give yourself a goal, book a holiday, buy an expensive outfit in a smaller size and give yourself a timescale. Im not sayin this is gonna cure the deeper issues u feel u need help with but iv been dieting 20 odd years on and off and only ever succeeded when I had a positive goal to work towards and usually only when things were going well in my life. Its amazing how will power comes out of nowhere when u have a goal to work towards.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    Options
    Yeah me too... Thats why i said its the moments of slight control that always leave people with BED thinking they dont need help... cause the control sets us up thinking we are just weak when really its not that we are weak at all.. so you spend years and years trying to prove that you are strong and you can do it yourself and you end up sometimes like Annie and I... over weight, diabetic.. the body just ravaged in one way or another..

Nailed it. So very thankful to have finally found an answer!