500% wrong on nutrition label?!?!

Options
Is my math right? Something I thought based on the nutrition label was 5 calories per tbsp is 25 per tbsp? I confirmed the difference after calling the manufacturer after it tasted too sweet to be that low in calories. They're "looking into it". Huh?!?!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what product?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Can you post a picture of the label? (You can probably find one online.)
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Oooh. Not sure I know how. Not at home now but it's an apple butter. They said they only made one apple butter and it's 25 cals per 1 tbsp, not 5! I'll try when I home. It's Red something.,,,
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the label doesn't say tsp instead of Tbsp? The rounding that is allowed on nutrition labels could account for the five-fold (rather than three-fold) difference between 5 cals per tsp and 25 cals per Tbsp
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Would it be Red Jacket? Fooducate has the nutrition at 25 calories per tablespoon.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Checked another site and it is listed as 35 calories per tbl. I can't seem to find a picture of the actual nutrition label however.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    There's no way that apple butter is 5 cals/tbsp. Maybe 5 cals/tsp - but even that would be pushing it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    A search for calories in a generic apple butter returns an answer of 29 calories per tablespoon. If it were 5 cals per teaspoon, that would still be only 15 calories per tablespoon, so clearly, something is not right on the nutrition label to which you are referring.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Yes! Red jacket. Will try to attach now...ulgmjd5uicjk.jpg
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's definitely wrong. There are 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate so just the 2g of carbs would be 8 calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, that label is completely wrong. What frantim528 said, plus - if there is only 2g of carbs, no protein and no fat, what the hell makes up the other 17g, given the ingredients are nothing but apples and spices?
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    And 7 ml is not a tablespoon. 15 ml is a tablespoon. Looks like they got it all wrong.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    And 7 ml is not a tablespoon. 15 ml is a tablespoon. Looks like they got it all wrong.

I thought it was either 20ml or 25ml depending on where you live? My spoons I use for baking say '20ml - 1 tablespoon'
  • Alatariel75
    Options

I thought it was either 20ml or 25ml depending on where you live? My spoons I use for baking say '20ml - 1 tablespoon'

I think its 20ml or 15 ml depending where you live.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Yet another reason why every country should be on the metric system!
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Yup!! It's enough of a difference to really screw up some fussy recipes, I've found to my sadness
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Yup!! It's enough of a difference to really screw up some fussy recipes, I've found to my sadness

Same, unfortunately. :/
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Seriously? Where is 1 tbsp not 3 tsp? Why would it ever be 4 tsp?
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Seriously? Where is 1 tbsp not 3 tsp? Why would it ever be 4 tsp?

Australia, apparently - which is weird because all of my tablespoons are 15ml... now I'm well confused about recipes I make.