Looking for a good broth recipe

Options
Feeling a bit under the weather and am looking for a broth recipe. I have chicken broth in the pantry. How do I make it taste good without adding any solids? My stomach isn't holding onto anything solid.

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Try adding some green dried spices to a cup of the broth ... depending on what you like you might try a bit of thyme, or parsley, some celery leaves. I usually also add pepper. You'll need to experiment with the flavors and herbs you have on hand.

PS ... and lacking any of those spices, try sprinkling on some Poultry Seasoning and black pepper.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Maybe dissolve a bouillon cube in it for more flavor? Or add some herbs and a little salt? Ginger is great for digestive disturbances. Maybe some type of Asian inspired broth with some ginger added?

I usually get the Sam's Choice bone broth in chicken or beef. It is super flavorful with no solids.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I just got over a week long stomach flu and basically lived on broth and rice for 5 days. If you can't stomach any solids at all, adding herbs or spices to the broth is probably your best best. If you own a blender or stick blender and think you can stomach pureed soup, sautee carrot, celery and onion, simmer in chicken broth, then blend.

And if you think you can handle rice (it helped settle my stomach, actually), chicken congee topped with ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil is really soothing/comforting.

Feel better soon!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    This won't help you for this time, but I try to never need to buy broth from the store. I save bones in the freezer and make stock from them. There's a world of difference.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This won't help you for this time, but I try to never need to buy broth from the store. I save bones in the freezer and make stock from them. There's a world of difference.

If you have a proper butcher nearby, they'll often give you/sell very cheaply the bones left over from butchering from various meats. Bunch of veg, bouquet garni and bob's your uncle!