Deadlift preference, sumo or conventional?

Options
124»

Replies

• megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts - conventional
    Squats - sumo

I'm short at 5'1 and doing the opposite for these screws with my form. Go figure
    \o/
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I prefer a hybrid of the two...

Like Coan's weird *kitten* gorilla style?

Someone asked him about that once. He said he wasn't trying to do anything unusual, he's just 5'3" and that's as far as he could go.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Mostly conventional.
    Sumo every once in a while.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Conventional for me
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I prefer a hybrid of the two...

Like Coan's weird *kitten* gorilla style?

Someone asked him about that once. He said he wasn't trying to do anything unusual, he's just 5'3" and that's as far as he could go.

Pretty much why I do them. I'm 6'3" with a disease that swells all my joints and have limited flexibility so I do what works best.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    I've been doing conventional since I started, and just watched a video on sumo technique. Do the legs (quads) get hit harder with sumos? I was wondering what the benefits are...

Pretty much. Both moves use the same muscles but in different proportions.
    Conventional requires a further hinge at the hips so is going require more work from the spinal erectors.
    Sumo requires greater hinging at the knees, leading to more engagement from the quads.
  • lgreddog
    lgreddog Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Conventional for me. I suck at sumo...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine doing sumo. My old knees couldn't take that strained.
  • MrHillman22
    MrHillman22 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I can't imagine doing sumo. My old knees couldn't take that strained.

Same here
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sumo -- I can pull about 50lbs more with it. But..................................................I'm short (5.1") and often wonder if I am cheating.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »
    Sumo -- I can pull about 50lbs more with it. But..................................................I'm short (5.1") and often wonder if I am cheating.

I'm also 5'1'' and my conventional is stronger by far. It has a lot to do with personal strengths/leverages too. My hips and hamstrings are a weak point, so my sumo isn't great. A lot of women have strong hips and do very well with sumo. Definitely not cheating, just using personal advantages. :)
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Conventional; to be honest, haven't tried sumo. First time for everything, maybe I'll give it a shot in the next few weeks.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I do both.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »

I'm also 5'1'' and my conventional is stronger by far. It has a lot to do with personal strengths/leverages too. My hips and hamstrings are a weak point, so my sumo isn't great. A lot of women have strong hips and do very well with sumo. Definitely not cheating, just using personal advantages. :)

Agreed. Sumo is a lot harder than people make it out to be. I mean you may be reducing the range of motion of the pull but it takes a lot of patience to initially pull sumo off the floor and it's definitely more technical than conventional.