Fitbit and exercise

Options
I have my Fitbit linked to MFP. Do I also need to log my exercise or is the Fitbit handling that? For example, Zumba class.

Replies

• KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The Fitibit will handle it but if you choose the log the exercise here the times will overwrite the FITbit reading so you don't double up
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you do both, it will basically give you double the calorie credits back on the exercise, thus allowing you to overeat.
  • lwilson413
    lwilson413 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ibboykin wrote: »
    If you do both, it will basically give you double the calorie credits back on the exercise, thus allowing you to overeat.

That was what I was worried about. I'll just stick with The Fitbit adjustment and not add my cardio workouts.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    lwilson413 wrote: »
    ibboykin wrote: »

That was what I was worried about. I'll just stick with The Fitbit adjustment and not add my cardio workouts.

All step-based activity should not be logged to MFP, let the Fitbit handle that. However, if you have cycling, swimming, rowing, you can log those in MFP and make sure the start time for those exercises in MFP is logged correctly so that the time period is accounted for in the Fitbit app. For the first few times you log those activities, check the Fitbit app to make sure everything syncs properly.

If you have a Fitbit with the option to start to track an activity manually or automatically and then designate it as a non-step activity type, you could experiment with doing it in either MFP or Fitbit and then pick which one you like better. I have not experimented with that, so I am not sure. Maybe someone who has tried it both ways will comment.

You could also check the MFP Fitbit Users group for recommendations.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

From the MFP Help/FAQ pages...
    Please note that if you are wearing a step-based tracker such as Fitbit, we recommend that you not manually log any exercise to your MyFitnessPal Exercise Diary that these devices excel at tracking: this includes walking, jogging, running, climbing stairs or hills, or daily home or office activity. These will be more accurately recorded by the device and will then transfer to MyFitnessPal as part of your Calorie Adjustment

We recommend that you manually log to MyFitnessPal any exercise that your step-based tracker's system will have trouble detecting accurately, such as rowing, cycling, and of course activities like swimming during which you cannot wear the device.

Reference:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1084231-total-daily-calorie-partners-should-i-change-the-way-i-use-myfitnesspal-now-that-i-ve-linked-accounts-