Favourite Anime? Good Anime for toddler?

Options
TheHive
TheHive Posts: 84 Member
edited January 2017 in Chit-Chat
Hey all, I'm a big fan of anime and started watching Naruto recently with my son and wondered if anyone could help with some other child friendly recommendations to watch with him. (not fairy tail, it suuuuuuucks)

Replies

• Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    DBZ always works, Ronin Warriors could work too, it was cheesy but I loved every second of it.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of amazing anime...but one for a four-year-old is a little different. I would recommend maybe Shaman King or Bleach. Also Tiger & Bunny if you have access to it. It's really good, and of the Superhero genre.

Most anime has some accidental boob touching or a lecherous character, but if you ignore that Hunter X Hunter and Magi might be a good choice.

Fairy Tail DOES suck.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    For a toddler, go with pokemon.
  • Cerealsensei
    Options
    Ooh and Our lie in April <3

Youre gonna make the kid cry his heart out lol
  • Cerealsensei
    Options
    Ooh and Our lie in April <3

Youre gonna make the kid cry his heart out lol

Him or his toddler? Lol

Both. That last EP when she was reading the letter.......man........lol.
  • idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    How about Card Captor Sakura, Avatar, Kodomo no Omocha? Pretty sure those are PG.
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Toddler Age? Studio Ghibli movies, Card Captor Sakura, Miraculous Ladybug, Kaleido Star, Avatar, Sailor Moon, Digimon, Pokemon, .Hack, etc.

I got my two nieces hooked on Naruto and Inuyasha. I don't think their mother--my sister--ever forgave me for that. Last year the smallest one begged for an Inuyasha costume and refused to answer to any name but "Inuyasha" for weeks. I bought her a toy sword (Styrofoam) for Christmas and she's been alternating between killing people and bringing them back to life ever since, haha.

As for my personal favorites? I'm a sports anime fiend. I definitely recommend introducing your kid to sports anime if you can find any in dub (I wouldn't know as I generally prefer sub) because they teach a lot of really important life lessons.
  • holliebaker90
    holliebaker90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow... most of these toddler anime recommendations are horrendous, lol. Try Card Captor Sakura, Ponyo or any other Studio Ghibli film. Wolf Children the movie. Chi's Sweet Home, Polar Bear Cafe and Nyanpire!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    idioblast wrote: »
    How about Card Captor Sakura, Avatar, Kodomo no Omocha? Pretty sure those are PG.

Card Captor Sakura is a good choice! And Avatar: The Last Airbender is an exceptional show.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There aren't very many anime I can recommend that are toddler-friendly, but the best one that fits that stipulation I can think of is Naruto if you're looking for ongoing series. If you're looking for individual movies, I would recommend anything by Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki (Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke). If you want something that has a deep story you can enjoy but cool visuals for him, I can highly recommend anything with the word "Macross" in the title or various Gundam shows.

EDIT: Essentially what we are going for here is a genre of anime called "Shounen" anime (which literally means anime for boys). Examples of which include Bleach, Hunter X Hunter, One Piece, Naruto, and Dragonball Z. Fairy Tail is another example but the fanservice is too much for toddler-appropriate IMO. Be warned, these shows drag on. And on. And on. And on. As in many of them are up to 600+ episodes. For something along those lines that concludes within a season or two. Blue Exorcist is among the BEST I've seen.
  • TheHive
    Options
    some awesome recommendations here, thanks everyone. We've flown through the ghibli films but they are a must have. Dont think he's ready for grave of the fireflies though
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Essentially what we are going for here is a genre of anime called "Shounen" anime (which literally means anime for boys)

Not necessarily? There are anime of other demographics that OP's son might 1) enjoy and 2) learn valuable lessons from.
  • TheHive
    Options
    flying through shippuden :D

• TheHive
    Options
    just realised we only have a few more episodes left of the dub :'(
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    The only thing resembling anime that I've ever watched is Sailor Moon and damn, I loved that when I was younger.

The new sailor moon crystal is so beyond amazing