Should I complete sets in a row?

Options
Example: I am doing upper body and say I have 6 exercises and I plan to do 12 reps in 3 sets each. Should I complete all 3 sets for 1 exercise and then move to the next or should I do it in a loop as in 1 set of all 6 exercises?

Should I add any cardio in between sets? (like Jumping jacks or burpees)

I would appreciate if you throw in a little bit of philosophy behind your suggestion.

Thanks.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you following a set programme, or is this a routine you have made up yourself?
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do them as a circuit rather than 3 sets in a row.

Because I find 3 sets in a row would compromise my form but also I dont take a rest break unless I need to between different exercises.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and, assuming it's an established program, rather than something you've made for yourself, what the program dictates.
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    are you following a set programme, or is this a routine you have made up yourself?

I came across a good beginner programme on one of the sites (i dont remember which, but it was recommended on one of the threads here).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nehaad88 wrote: »

I came across a good beginner programme on one of the sites (i dont remember which, but it was recommended on one of the threads here).

and does it say to do all the sets together?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Maybe from this thread?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

It's most common for the sets to be performed back to back with a short rest 1-3 mins between sets then move onto the next set. Cardio between sets is not a frequent feature of strength or muscle building programs.

If you can remember the name of the program you may get more specific advice.
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Maybe from this thread?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

It's most common for the sets to be performed back to back with a short rest 1-3 mins between sets then move onto the next set. Cardio between sets is not a frequent feature of strength or muscle building programs.

If you can remember the name of the program you may get more specific advice.

This is the thread I was referring to above..